Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Anyone an expert on Rabbits? *NEW PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default Anyone an expert on Rabbits? *NEW PICS*

Well, two rabbits came to live with me last week. Three days after we got them - one had 7 babies. The babies are only 4 days old and the mother will not feed them and is being very aggressive towards them (three of the poor little things have died ). So I'm going to step in and be the momma bunny (and no I'm not going to put on ears and a tail!!)

Does anyone know of anything that I should do or have any advice? I found a bunch of stuff on the internet but the more info I have - the better.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Anyone an expert on Rabbits?

I know you can't touch them for quite awhile, cause they are born without a scent and if the mother smells your scent on them she will ignore them. Sorry bout the bunnies [&o]

Old 06-14-2006, 08:18 PM

the only thing I can think of, is treat it like any other baby animal. Feed it thru a needle thing, like this http://www.popperandsons.com/syringe...egory=syringes and give it TLC.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shon

I know you can't touch them for quite awhile, cause they are born without a scent and if the mother smells your scent on them she will ignore them. Sorry bout the bunnies [&o]
The weird thing is that no one touched any of them. I don't know why she's acting the way she is, she either ignores them or tries kicking them around. She's one grumpy old b$%$ if you ask me!

Hopefully we'll be able to save a couple of them.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: littledevil

the only thing I can think of, is treat it like any other baby animal. Feed it thru a needle thing, like this http://www.popperandsons.com/syringe...egory=syringes and give it TLC.
Thanks Lil D - I have a bunch of those at home from cough medication for my daughter - guess they'll have a new use now!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 PM

Oh I just remembered, if you want to feed it like the Momma you have to go to a petsmart and get cat milk and they also sell little tiny bottles. We tried to save a baby bunny but the Mom came back for it.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shon

Oh I just remembered, if you want to feed it like the Momma you have to go to a petsmart and get cat milk and they also sell little tiny bottles. We tried to save a baby bunny but the Mom came back for it.
Perfect! All the info on the net is so conflicting, one minute I'm reading that they should be given one thing and then another site has a big warning about giving them the same thing. Based on the research I did - they shouldn't get anything other than mom's milk.

I think I'm going to go with the cat stuff! I'll have to check out the bottles - the bunnies are pretty small.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:37 PM

About the mother ignoring them or kicking them. There is something wrong. The is nature takes in control. Once you get a chance have a vet check the babies and mother. Someone maybe sick.

I know a girl that her dog had puppies and the mother killed the whole litter. It sounds so mean, but that just means there was something wrong and that is just nature takes its course.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

If it wasn't for my daughter - I wouldn't be near as concerned. Luckily she doesn't know about the three that died - but if all the rest die she'll be pretty upset. I'd love to be able to take them to the vet, but unfortunately I can't afford that right now.

We'll just have to see how things go for now. Can't change nature.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:03 PM

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/o...re%20for%20it? Hope this helps a little.

Quick Reply: Anyone an expert on Rabbits? *NEW PICS*