Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

9/11/2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 9/11/2008

Remembering...

01-30-2003, 09:28 PM#154
srobak

Cashmoney's post brought this back to the first page -

I hadnt read this thread before.

I just read the whole thing now.

And I remember...

I remember being late on my way to work, hearing the radio break in saying a plane hit the world trade center.

I remember walking into work and heading straight for the lounge where the ENTIRE office was gathered watching this small TV in the corner.

I remember watching the TV as a reporter was talking and they were showing the twin towers, one of them burning... and I remember watching that second plane run into the second building.

I remember being in complete shock. Frozen. Like everyone else from the office - frozen. Work no longer important. Nothing important anymore - except this. Our country under attack.

I remember watching it all happen.

I remember making a collect call to my dad - who served 20 years in the military - from the office phone in the lounge and asking him if he had the TV on, him saying no and telling him to turn on CNN and hearing him saying "oh my god" barely audible.

I remember driving home from work that night.

I remember going out later that night for something - damned if I can remember what - and the streets being COMPLETELY DESERTED. Everyone at home - watching TV and on the phones with their loved ones.

I remember the same thing happening the next night... not a freakin car on the road. Not a single person in the stores.

I remember a news report from the police chief in Gary Indiana, a city so plagued by crime that it has set record after record in the last twenty years - this chief said that he didn't have a SINGLE CRIME to report. Not one.

I remember seeing pictures of the Pentagon and feeling really scared after realizing that the plane strike there was in the same ring that my dad worked in 18 years prior... yeah a long time ago, but it was still strange to know that as a little boy, *I* had walked in a hallway that was no longer there.

I remember the first sporting event I went to after that - in October - an Indiana University football game. I remember the ENTIRE CROWD in complete tears during the National Anthem.

I remember.

And I will ALWAYS remember.

And God help ANYONE of ANY RACE or from ANY COUNTRY who crosses my path and has chosen to forget - especially if they are American.

I will always remember.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Every time I think about it still, I am in disbelief that it happened. Not in that conspiracy kind of way, but I just can't believe that those building fell....... I think about all the kids that lost parents....

Old 09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I remember... It was my fiance at the times birthday.. and I couldnt be there for her

I remember waking up and doing P.T and then the sirens went off..

I remember our drill instructors puzzled look on his face and telling everyone that this isnt a drill..

We watched it on the tv the only time we got to watch tv..

I remember a recruit in my flight watching the tv and broke out in tears.. He lost his father on 9/11.. We all gathered in a hudge group hug around him...

I remember being in shock and feeling so bad for everyone that it has effected on a personal level...

I was scared and I will never forget

and the recruit was allowed to leave the service and got on a bus the next day.. but there was alot of recruits base wide that had to do the same thing..

my blessings and thoughts go out to each of us in remembering this terrible moment in history..

GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!!

thanks srobrak for starting a good thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah, too often that what happened that day is forgotten, the memory negelcted and pushed to the back of the mind.

I remember meeting my brother's then girlfriend in the hall on my way to 4th period german class coming from my social studies class in 9th grade and not believing her that planes had hit the WTC. Soon after finding out it was true as soon as I got to my German classroom.

I remember the entire school in the assembly room when the airport could not locate a plane that was supposed to be in the area.

I remember everyone's worry and tears. The carloads of kids going home early.

It saddens me that my school's newspaper today did not even mention the attacks in any kind of way. I pray that that is not the way of the future

Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I remember............ not able to get to work, my wife & I lived in Canada at that time and I crossed the border everyday to go to work. The boarders were locked down tight.
I remember............ calling my Guard Unit in Bellingham to see what we needed to do.
I remember ............ not even my Comander could get me accross the bordor
I remember............. Staring into the TV frozen; wanting to do something; but unable to go HOME.
I have been on active orders ever since

Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

The fact of the matter is.. is that I will never forget and I see most of us all well never forget and thats what matters,, if people wanna forget good for them,, im happy for them.. I bitch and moan about our government and the way life is but I have to deal with it just like the next man... and 9-11 hurt, it hurt people like me and all you guys here on KF..we are no differant than anybody else.. except we dont forget what is not to be forgotten.. and i will never forget.. onlly the weak will forget. So thats my 2 cents....

Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I will never forget. I was stationed at Ft Huachuca in the Army at the time. We were having a base change of command that day with much of the staff in that wing of the Pentagon on base for the ceremony. I was getting into my BDU's for formation and work afterwords when my roommate asked me if I was watching the news. He then showed me on his tv the first tower burning. We had a short ceremony with very few speeches and then it was off to grab our battle gear and help the MP's with base lock down. For the rest of the night we sat at the MP barracks waiting to see where we would be needed just watching the tv as it all unfolded.

Today I now work for the DoD as an Army Civilian working on military electronics at Tobyhanna Army Depot. Depot wide we had our moment of silence as we remembered both in the morning and in the after noon. You have to have a cold heart to not just stop and respect that moment and not think back to that day and all the lives lost that day and since.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Right now there is a special on about 9/11 and at times I find myself fighting back the tears.

I remember being in my college math class when the first plane hit the tower, at first we all thought it was some small single eng airplane. It wasn't until I left class and was listening to the radio that I realized how serious it really was. Once I got home I sat in horror in front of the tv and watched the rest unfold.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I was watching it on history channel yesterday too and I know what you mean. I was disgusted reading my school's student paper, there wasn't even the slightest mention of what day it was.