Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 50,000

Hit the big 5-0 today! Happened just before the Winfield Road exit on 88 this afternoon. I had to stop and get a pic

Purchased in Oct 06 with 13.5k on
32k at end of 07 season
46k at end of 08 season (and was down for a month waiting on EBC warranty)

Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

50g!! Congrats! Just now gettin broke in. lol

Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow... And I thought I put a lot of miles on my bike!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the "mile"stone. I'll ask you what I always get asked about my bike. I recently hit 80k on my ZRX.

Have you had anything major go bad on it? What kind of maintenance schedule do you follow?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

That reminds me of a time when I was talking to a guy and he told me he had alot of miles on his bike. When I asked how many he had he told me about 800.

Congrats, bike still looks good as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

How many miles were on the bike when you got it? Or did you put all of them on, if so, all I have to say is.. That's a lot of miles.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
How many miles were on the bike when you got it? Or did you put all of them on, if so, all I have to say is.. That's a lot of miles.
lol deej reread the post and your questions will be answered

Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Congrats, Steve. No substitute for good maintenance.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I just hit 5050 miles today.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KevyzToy
Have you had anything major go bad on it? What kind of maintenance schedule do you follow?
At the end of 07 I pulled the motor to give its 2nd valve adjustment. Only one exhaust valve was out of spec by .005/in. Also replaced a slightly seeping head gasket. Didn't _need_ to be done, but since the motor was out...

At the same time I also replaced the water/oil pump gasket set for a very slow water drip. Turns out it was actually the drain plug on the water pump... doh. Also drained and rebuilt the forks at that time - turns out the original owner never did it. D@mn did that smell raunchy after being in there for over 10 years. I put new sprocks and chain on as well (Stealth tri-metal and RK Gold XW)

Mid summer last year my stock front rotors were pulsing, so I went to replace them and the pads and managed to warp those in 8 miles, which shut me down for an entire month while dealing with warranty crap.

At the end of last season the Muzzy can was loose on the pipe and after taking it apart - found that it was only tack-welded in 3 spots to the sleeve & collar that goes inside the can and they had all broke. Made a new collar for that and welded it all the way around - you can now do chin-ups on the can

None of these issues were major or otherwise out of normal maintenance, and other than the brake issue - all of it was done during winter.

Other than those items - all I did was regular oil and filter changes during the year, tires when needed, and every winter I would change all fluids (oil, coolant, brake), all filters, plugs, clean and degrease every inch (cause if it gets 2 baths during the summer that is a lot), wash and re-oil air filter, and look for anything loose, leaking, whatever.

It has never once left me stranded or has anything really ever been "broken". I don't count the issue with the brakes or the exhaust can too much. I am completely pleased with my investment and what I have gotten out of the bike.

This winter I will be needing to replace the head bearings and races however. After the pounding Chicagoland roads have given the bike - I have developed a very slight "notch" at the 12 o'clock position, only noticeable when doing 10mph or slower and trying to do fractional steering. Again - not that big a deal, and can be easily done in an afternoon.

Quick Reply: 50,000