Got prices from the local kawasaki dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Default Got prices from the local kawasaki dealer

I was going to do the work myself but my old man talked me out of it. I get pissed when someone works on their Caterpillar engine in their truck, they don't know what they are doing and they mess everything up. My old man told me its the same deal with me working on my ZX9R engine. I don't know the tricks of the trait. I agreed with him, so... The local kawasaki dealers mechanic has 40 years exoeriance, my dad knows him well, he will do a good job.

vavle adjustment = $200.00 (maybe less)
jetting carbs for micron exhaust = $130.00 (maybe less)
Synching carbs with air fuel ratio = $100.00
mounting and balancing new tires = $60.00
Buying 2 new continental street attack tires = $250.00
X-ring II 530 chain and sprockets = $250

Any opinions on these prices?

Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Got prices from the local kawasaki dealer

I am not sure I like the costs on the synching (takes 1/2hr), mounting and balancing ($40 on bike, $20 with wheels off the bike), a set of conti street attacks for $250? Ouch. X-ring chain with sprockets installed? The wheel is going to be off anyhow so time is really not a factor.
But yes, I agree with you to a point. Sometimes it is better to farm out the work to a knowledgeable person who will double check everything. I am abit picky with my rides when it comes to double checking. For example: with the wheels off are the brakes checked and the supports torque checked?
Congrats on having/trusting a mechanic though, that is always good.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 AM

The thing is I am extremely picky about vavle adjustments and tuning! Every cylinder has to fire exactly the same or the engine is fighting its self. If you adjust one cylinder stightly tight and another slightly loose (and I am talking .001") you get one cylinder trying to make power at a high rpm and the other is trying to make it at a lower rpm. The engine fights its self. Compound that with carbs that are merely close as opposed to dead on... The engine isn't running as good as it can. I'm the type of guy that will tweak and engine to put out every bit of power that is mechanically capable of.
The price on the chain and sprockets was parts only, It might have been $230? don't remember for sure. they aren't charging to install the chain. The chain itself is one of the highest quality chains on the market. I don't play games with chains, that alot of power going through there. The sprockets are typical nothing fancy. just 3 up in the rear. I would rather go up in the rear then down in the front cause the chain doesn't have to pivot as much which means less heat, it should last longer. I firmly believe is you buy a chain that doesn't stretch easily than your sprocket are going to last much longer.
Mounting and balancing the tires for $60 is both on the bike if Isupply the tires, If I buy tires from their shop I only pay $40 to mount and balance. Thats just how they do things.

The price on the synch (I just found out) was to do it only, I don't have to pay for that causethey do that as part of jetting the carbs.

The jetting price and valve adjustment is a maximum cost most likely it will be lower.

The tire price is based on $150 for the rear and $100 for the front. I didn't think that was hatefull in compairison to others. I don't have to pay any shipping if I let them do a stock order.

They do tend to check things over well, all wheel bearings, brakes and what not... They want you to buy more parts if they find a problem with stuff. My old man took his KX125 in and they found a few things that he hadn't noticed. They are very honest people though, they want your money but they want it honestly. They care about there reputation cause suzukis are big around here, The have to sell there service to sell kawasaki's.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

"Congrats on having/trusting a mechanic though, that is always good."

I totally agree on the valve issue, that is why I did not even mention the cost. I listed the wheel change and balancing from what I pay to get them done. The synching of the carbs makes sense now since it should be done when playing with the carbs (at the same time). Actually, it sounds like you have a good mechanic that you can trust. Attention to detail is a virtue!