Reassembling engine components question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Reassembling engine components question...

Hello,

I'm new here, I'm building a off-road buggy so I got myself a '95 ZX-7 engine, it was complete with components in a box, so I've fitted the engine in the frame a few weeks ago and now am about ready to start it..

So today, I put oil in the engine, got all the prestone hoses routed and filled... Was playing around with fuel and vacuum hoses up until I stumbled on this part :

Name:  100_0766.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  86.7 KB

I can't find it in my shop manual (although it's from '92, the only one I found)
I'm pretty sure the hoses connects on a rail on top of the carburators but what is it part of??? Vacuum or fuel??? Where else should it connect to??? There is 2x 3/8" connection and one 3/16" and with that hose that was already mounted on it... the 3/16" hose is for vacuum as when you blow in it you hear a diaphragme move...

Could it be the enricher solenoid valve???

Also, here's a picture of a part I'm missing (in the red square)

Name:  100_0767.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  100_0768.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  61.5 KB

It's connected to the vacuum switch valve and goes to the air box... is this just an empty plastic barrel to adapt the 1"(or so) exit of the switch valve to the ¾"(or so) hose that goes to the air box or is there something in there that I need the original???

Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm not even sure i'd put that crap back on, personally. it's part of the infamous "kleen air" system, and typically, its removed for easy of work and service, and tends to positively affect idle and off-idle transitions in most cases..

you're going into alot of trouble to build the most badass go-kart ever.. why be environmentally sound!!?? lol

J model part... Hmmmmmm..

the first pic.. that hose with the 90's in it goes to the airbox, but deleting this will require plugging the airbox hole.. looks like you're using the stock airbox...

another hose should come off and feed the float bowls. i attempted the kleen air mod but with no sucess.. now, this time around, i have to be sucessful since i've made a more "permanent" (still reversible.. just more work involved) kleen air mod and i really don't feel like removing my gorgeous c.f. blockoffs i made cuz it won't work! lol

if you're having trouble with load-related stumble, theres a pressure differential between ambient air, the carb throat(s) and the float bowl(s).

haha.. i see you've removed the crossover pipe and welded the holes shut as well.. that'll affect the way it runs just slightly.. ya know, the whole exhaust-pulse thing..

at least let me know what you think..ll good luck in the meantime, and welcome to KF!!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

here.. you can barely see it, but at least its there.. kinda get a jist of what i did...

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...&pictureid=382

Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks for the input...

Some stuff I didn't quite get though...

whitehendrix said: haha.. i see you've removed the crossover pipe and welded the holes shut as well.. that'll affect the way it runs just slightly.. ya know, the whole exhaust-pulse thing..
Are you talking about the exhaust pipes?? Cause if you are all I did is take like 1" off the lenght to clear the bottom frame and got the muffler closer to the 4-pipes-to-one pipe...

If I do take off the part in picture #1,There is no fuel at all that passes in there right??? only air and fumes??? do I cap the rail on the carb that the hose went on if I don't put it back???

Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 AM
1st Gear Member

don't mind post #3.. i screwed up and that shouldn't have gone there.. sorry.. lol

ok.. you're right, and you're right.

theres a cross pipe on the front of the headers that connects all the pipes internally with each other, kinda like an H or X pipe.. but it's no big deal. shortening it won't affect it at all.. you're good, there.. i honestly doubt upon further pondering that your cross pipe deletion will affect anything at all noticably.

any yup,.. cap that vac line off that runs to it.. on mine, they pull vac off of the #1,3, and 4 cylinders.. i'm just running 8MM bolts into where the ports are now when i throw mine back together.. i think they tied 1 and 4 together.. can't remember 100% but i know 2 of em were tied together.. mighta been 1 and 3.. either way. i'll block off the vac ports on the intake runners and seal up everything on the carbs thats associated with the kleen air system..

theres not even fumes really that pass thru that little valve..

Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Again thanks for the info...

whitehendrix said: you're good, there..
I'm not trying to prove myself or anything, I'm trying to understand, I work on diesel for a living not bike engine... I just couldn't understand what you were saying because I didn't have no crosspipe, no H no X no nothing...

Sorry for the confusion, grateful for the help!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

nah man.. no offense of whatever taken bro! sometimes i say things and don't elaborate.. my fault..

glad to (try to) help!

either way, you owe us some shots of that badass buggy in action!!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

It's not yet finished... I got to put the pedals and brakes, then start the engine... Then I'll be able to get some vids of it...

Thanks for the interest !!!

Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Haven't had time to play with the engine yet but am starting to wire the electrical... Back to the fuel system now...

This part again... you told me I could junk this since it's for pollution only... and that this piece goes to the rail on the carburators... and that that rail can now be blocked...

Stupid question--> How do I attach the fuel line to the carbs now?!?!? I thought that rail was for that...

Do I need a return line to the gas tank or is the pump only going to pump when the engine needs it?!??! (like pump at 1 PSI or something)

Can't quite figure them out in my shop manual... Looks like 2 hoses to the tank but it might be for the reserve... which I don't have on my home made tank...

Thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

theres only 1 hose that'll run from your supply (and pump) to a fitting between the #2 and #3 carbs. there should be a T fitting there and a common "rail" consisting of tiny little o-ringed pipes between the carbs..

the pump pressure is 1.6-2.3 psi, or should be around there..

you shouldn't need a return.. if too much fuel goes into the carbs, it'll **** out of the overflow lines off the carbs..

and yuppers, you don't NEED that kleen air crap.. you can run it if it poses a vac or running problem, but theres ways around it..