No sparks

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default No sparks

I went ahead on my project and reattached the electrical harness to my '95 zx7 engine, bypassed the kickstand switch, the kill switch and the starter lockout switch... engine is on neutral so neutral switch should be OK, or else engine shouldn't turn...

I added a toggle switch for ignition and push button for the starter relay, the engine turns over and accessories work (fuel pump, fan, etc.) but the spark plugs won't make any sparks (no testers, just put spark plug to ground and crank engine, eyeball it and see no sparks)

I tested my pickup coil, got around 460 ohms and voltage pulsates when cranking...

Both coils have power to the red wire which automaticly gives power on the green and black wires of corresponding coil when ignition is on... The power is on the exit pole of the coil not on wire when disconnected... When I crank engine the coils don't seem to give sparks, neither one of them...

I dunno how to test the coils or the IC Igniter...

Can someone figure out if I'm missing something I overlooked???
Maybe check the coils on your bike to make sure the power goes thru the coils when ignition is on, just like mine does???
Someone knows how to check the coils or IC Igniter???
Should the coils be grounded(right now they are bolted on a stainless steel plate bolted directly on the frame)???
Any other thing you guys know that I might not???

BTW I don't have the cluster, I don't think I need it but never know...

Claude

Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry for the late response!!

you don't need the gauges for the CDI to work. but, if theres a short, it'll screw up the cDI.. the tach feed wire will be the only wire that does that, tho.

sounds like you might have a bad CDI.. i don't meter them.. the numbers are never right.. it's best to install it on another bike and see if it'll run, basically.. that, or plug in another CDI to yours. an older 600 CDI will work on the 7-R's and vice versa.

i've used my '94 ZX6-E CDI on my 2000 7-R as a test, and it works.

sounds like you've got the process of elimination thing going..

good trigger, good coils, theres power to the CDI?
does the gray wire have 6V on it?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

The gray wire is my next task cause I had it directly on ignition, I ripped open the old barrel that I have and will pull out the resistor and weld it on the gray wire...

Hopefully it'll work... if not, I'm leaning towards the CDI gone bad...

Old 11-29-2008, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, it worked that's all it was... it's running now but the throttle bodies are leaking so I'll have to rebuild them...

Thanks