Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Ninja ZX-7R (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-zx-7r-62/)
-   -   2001 zx7r gas tank LIGHT (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-zx-7r-62/2001-zx7r-gas-tank-light-18637/)

ezrollin 01-29-2008 09:13 PM

RE: 2001 zx7r gas tank LIGHT

I dont even understand why it would have an "off" option but whatever

Dragone#19 01-30-2008 12:58 AM

lol, ezrollin. carb sticking, gas flooding, pump burnout, headlight adjustment, petcock.....anymore to list?

ezrollin 01-30-2008 01:32 AM

because this is my first bike and I dont have any kind of service manual or manual at all I am dying to pick your brains sorry.
I'm new to carbs and reserve tanks.

Can you use the Reserve tank BEFORE you use the original tank? lol

I should just tear into my bike so I can figure everything out myself... I'm good at that!
appreciate it

Dragone#19 01-30-2008 01:47 AM

You can leave it in the reserve position if you want.

ezrollin 01-30-2008 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

You can leave it in the reserve position if you want.
yea, but if I do that then when I run out of gas I will be Completely Dry and will have no reserve, correct? dont wanna do that.

Dragone#19 01-30-2008 02:24 AM

that is why knowing your ride is also of importance. Use the trip meter with the petcock in the on position and refer to your trip meter.

whitehendrix 01-30-2008 05:46 AM

ok.. a couple things..
i get exactly 160 miles to the tank on "on".. not reserve, but your riding habits, and the condition of your bike will render you a different number i'm sure. reserve typically give you about 20-30 miles more.. not always tho!!

secondly, if you DO run out of fuel, have a good battery.
the fuel pump is a diaphargm pump that gets its signal from the cylinders1&4 coilpack's primary signal. that pump will not run constantly, like an impeller style pump found in high HP carburated, EFI, and automotive uses..

the pump will only "pulse" fuel when it sees the signal going to thew 1 / 4 coilpack. therefore, it pumps rather slowly and only a lil bit comes out every crank rotation...

the tiny little back cube beside the CDI with the red plug is your fuel pump relay, just f.y.i..

hope this helps a bit!

ezrollin 01-30-2008 03:24 PM

yes, mucho help
whats CDI?
Command Discharge Ignition? idk..
thanks

whitehendrix 01-31-2008 01:53 AM

capacitive discharge ignition.

this is the box that takes your trigger coil signal, and generates it into a high-voltage signal that powers the coil packs..

capacitors are like little batteries... they store a charge, however, they will not produce a charge chemically, like a battery can..

a capacitor provides infinite current for a split second.. it tapers exponentially, but for about a 10th of a second, you can get a few hundred, or a few thousand amps at the available voltage. depending on the size of the cap.

using this available power, the CDI can power a high energy coil pack without any problem.. just like the condenser on the point-style setups.. that condenser is a capacitor, and its purpose is to hold the power for the coil..

theres alot of theory and all i won't bore you with, but at the same time, if you wanna know, just ask!! i'll try my best to be easy with the explaination on electrical stuff.... i tend to get carried away and complicate it sometimes!! electrical engineering will put you in that mindset... lol:eek:

ezrollin 01-31-2008 10:03 PM

man, I looked through the manual and couldnt find how to turn the reserve knob to On, Off, or Reserve. I have a few scratches on my bike and I can see that it was painted red, then green (or vice versa) now its blue. I dont see Any kind of Indention to let me know when the reserve is On, Off, or on Reserve. Am I correct in thinking there is 3 different settings or just 2?

I went to a gas station filled up completely to the top then messed with my knob hoping that the gas level would go down which would indicate to me that I turned on the reserve but it must've already been on cause the gas level did Not go down.

Sorry I have asked this same question a million times in this thread.