wtf... im hitting deadends...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Default wtf... im hitting deadends...

ok, number one cylander has bad compression. rings seem to be good, theres no scoring on the cylinder wall at all. theres no hole in the piston. help!?!?

another thing. i cant find the knock!!! theres nothing wrong with the bearings...... theres nothing wrong with the things that hold the rod to the piston. theres no play at all......... whatttt theee faaawwwwkkk!!! im real frustrated right about now......

i changed the cct, i got the ape, that didnt help.

there was oil coming from the exhaust port on the number one cylinder too... please help me! im ready to rip my hair out!!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: wtf... im hitting deadends...

1. only thing i can think of then is the head gaskit around cyl 1. either that or you are looking compression from cyl 1 exhaust valve, is the valve bent?

2. how loud of a knock? top end or low end? any indication on the cylender walls of maybey the rods hitting the walls?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 PM

the head gasket doesnt seem to be bad? it wasnt leaking anything at all, no coolant, no oil in the coolant, no nasty oil. although there was some metal shavings on the head gasket when i took the head off. theres no scoring on the cyl walls. i was thinking the knock was from the top end the whole time, cuz it sounded like something snapped. like, an all of a sudden sound. a knock takes time and gets louder and louder........ grrrr

Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

worn valve guide??of course you need machinest tools to tell. naked eye can't see thousanths. micrometer time maybe.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah my money goes to the valves!! if somethign went wrong with them that would account for both problems, ticking noise and compression leak

Old 10-02-2007, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Straight out of the service manual: trouble shooting guide;

loose spark plug
cylinder head not tightened
no valve clearance
cylinder, piston worn
bad psiton ring
excessive clearence on piston ring
cylinder head gasket damaged
cylinder head warped
valave spring broken or weak
valve not seating properly(valve bent, worn, or carbon build up on the seating surface)

Hope this helps...good luck!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 PM

im taking the head to my local mechanic tomorrow. with the engine in the bike and everything together as if i rode it in, it would cost me $200... hopefully since its all apart n stuff, itll be hella cheaper.

could a bent valve cause a knock?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

if the piston was hitting it maybe, or if the bent valve cause the cam to start ticking

Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 AM

there were no marks on the piston, no indentation in the carbon build up or anything... who knows, we'll find out i guess

Old 10-03-2007, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Fill the intake & exhaust ports with diesel or solventto see of there is a leaking valve seat. Do this outside in a oil pan or container. If the valve seat is bad, The liquid will drain out. Don't use water because it will rust the valves. The knock could be a connecting rod bearing which would cause the piston to hit & bendthe valves causing lack of compression.

Quick Reply: wtf... im hitting deadends...