Won't stay running out of choke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Default Won't stay running out of choke?

Have a '94 ZX6 and I'm new to bikes. Assuming the choke lever all the way down is choke on, lever pushed up is off? I was riding, and everything was fine, then the bike started to just die as I was coming to a stop. Now it only stays running with the choke on (lever in down position). Any ideas?

Also, what is the little circular glass window on the engine, crank case I believe...appears to be oil in there. What should I be looking for here? Thanks and I apologize for my stupidity.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Won't stay running out of choke?

Choke pushed down is off. The sight glass is to check your oil. Oil should be just below the top of the sight glass with the bike standing up straight. (not on the kickstand.)

Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM

Ok, so then the bike won't stay running with the choke on...so I'm assuming that's ok. Whoops...been driving around with the choke on up until this point, hope it didn't hurt anything.

And with the sight glass...is that while the bike is running or off?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Bike off and level; not on the sidestand. The oil level should be between the 2 marks.

As far as running with the choke on; you just carboned up the combustion chamber & the top of the pistons, your exhaust pipe(and made sick whoever was behind you smelling the fumes). LOL. Go to your local car parts store (AutoZone or other) and get some RXP. Put about half a bottle in your tank, fill it up and ride it. That will decarbonize the engine & exhaust. For the people that were behind you, it's probably too late for them; they're goners. JK.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Bike off and level; not on the sidestand. The oil level should be between the 2 marks.

As far as running with the choke on; you just carboned up the combustion chamber & the top of the pistons, your exhaust pipe(and made sick whoever was behind you smelling the fumes). LOL. Go to your local car parts store (AutoZone or other) and get some RXP. Put about half a bottle in your tank, fill it up and ride it. That will decarbonize the engine & exhaust. For the people that were behind you, it's probably too late for them; they're goners. JK.
LOL. Wow, I feel like an idiot now. I guess that's why I smelled like I took a bath in gasoline afterwards. haha Live and learn I guess. So is this probably why the bike just dies from time to time now when riding? It's at the dealership now, I'd rather be educated on what may be wrong with it then them make up some bs and tell me it needs $500 in service or something. It only has 3500 miles on it so I was hoping/assuming it wasn't anything major.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Watch out for the "stealership". Some of them will say just about anything to milk the money out of you.[&:]

Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: tbspyder

So is this probably why the bike just dies from time to time now when riding? It's at the dealership now, I'd rather be educated on what may be wrong with it then them make up some bs and tell me it needs $500 in service or something.
Anyone?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, not being a d!ck here, but have you read your manual yet?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

So is this probably why the bike just dies from time to time now when riding? It's at the dealership now, I'd rather be educated on what may be wrong with it then them make up some bs and tell me it needs $500 in service or something.
Anyone?
Yes. When the choke is engaged, and the engine fully warmed up, the engine runs so rich it basically "chokes" on all the extra fuel it's getting. But, you could have other problems also that would cause the engine to keep dying.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Maybe when the bike was over on it's side, oil could have drained into the airbox andsoaked the air filter or something. Maybe one of the Carburetor float valves is stuck open and dumping extra fuel in. It's difficult to tell online. Let us know what the dealer finds outsays.

Quick Reply: Won't stay running out of choke?