what tire should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default what tire should I get?

I need a rear tire, its not completely worn but enough to make it slip out from under me, like it did on sunday. I fell off my bike at 10 mph right in front of my development, the roads were wet and I guess I hit the brake too hard. I walked away with a few scrapes on my arm and scratched knees and one bruised knee. Also my palms kinda hurt and my left wrist hursts. But the most important thing is my bike is 99% perfect(lol). The vortex frame sliders caught the grunt and the only thing that happened was my peg under my foot shifter broke a little and minor minor scratched to the bike, only really the engine casing. My joe rocket duoble cuffed leather infused palm gloves prevented any road rash to my hands. I didnt have my jacket on, but only scraped my arm not even bad at all! Didnt hit my head, only my knees and the jeans i still wear them, cause its not much damage. So lesson learned is always wear gear, never brake hard in rain esp when rear tire is a bit worn and always buy frame sliders. Im glad it happened though in a safe area and not in the main road. Also it put a little fear in me and now Im sooo careful. That is why im going to buy a rear tire even though it still has decent tread. I kinda felt like an idiot after this happened but it was a simple mistake. And i told my neighbor who rides seldomly and he told me a few wks ago he came home drunk and got on his bike and feel off in the neighborhood and cracked his cheek bone, so at least Im not a complete moron in comparison

So back to the main point whats a good rear tire to get cause my front is absolutely fine. I know they charge $200 at the stealership for standard hard dunlops. Now the downlow is that I dont race not even on roads and im only using it for school, so what do you guys recommend? And what the best site.

cheers---adam

Old 05-10-2006, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: what tire should I get?

All the rear tires by the Major brands are excellent for street. I was very impressed with the stock 05 Brigestone BT014's at the track. I used (Got rid of the chicken strip) up the whole rear tire and most of the front. The rear was drifting a little but the track was cold in the morning, and they stuck like glue when the track warmed up. I would stay away from trackday tires unless you plan on replacing them sooner. Trackday / DOT Race tires like the Michelin Pilot Powers/ Race & Dunlpo D208 GP's are sticky but dont last as long. Plus you'll never get full use out of them on the street. Lokk for a set of Stock BT014's that someone took off to replace with track tires. The Stock Dunlops are great also. Just shop around on ebay for 636 tires and you'll get a bunch of results. I just bought a set of Michelin Pilot Race track tires for my spare set of wheels for trackday use only for $190 for the set shipped!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:00 AM

Absolutely love my Michelin Pilot Powers, Friends also run diablo corsas, have also heard great things about the dunlop qualifiers...

http://www.swmototires.com/ they offer free shipping and handling when you buy two or more tires, which if you do the math at others sites these guys are the cheapest by quite a bit....

Old 05-10-2006, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the stockers...and i ride very agressive

Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Pilot Powers, you will not be disapointed!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

i run pirelli diablos and LOVE them. they work great in wet, dry, cold, hot whatever. i was doing wheelies in january in the great white north (hour away from toronto canada) and didn't even let any air outta my tires. i know 2 guys that go to track days and they both use the diablos. i got mine cheap too. happy hunting, and keep her rubber side down

Old 05-11-2006, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is the price breakdown,I think these are the correct sizes:

Bridgestone BT014 180/55ZR-17 Rear
Code: 30-1162
Price: $116.95

Michelin Pilot Power 180/55ZR-17 Rear
Code: 1431271
Price: $134.95

Pirelli Diablo Corsa 180/55ZR-17 Rear ---why so expensice, are they the best?
Code: 1449500
Price: $157.95

---for the price I like the BT014. Is there a better tire for wet roads?

I think I can get a friend to put the tire on, but do I need a spool set?

Old 05-11-2006, 06:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Also here is the picture of the damage i did from dropping it which was nothing.
The engine mount bent and now the frame slider is on an angle, should I just pry it back, or whats the deal?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

i have to disagree about the life of the pilot powers. I've put almost 2k on my rear so far and it hasn't started to flatted out yet. and i try to wheelie alot. my last tire came with the bike when i bought it. It had a really bad flat spot already and i got another 2500 miles on it before i roasted it.

i've got caught in heavy rain in my power and they do the trick.