Vortex Frame Sliders Really Work!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Default RE: Vortex Frame Sliders Really Work!

Glad to hear you're (gonna be) ok!! Thanks for sharing, too, cause it's a reminder that it can happen to anyone, at any time. You're not an inexperienced kid out for his first ride, yet you got caught by surprise, and the rest of us to remember that even on places we rid regularly we can have something unexpected happen and find ourselves looking at sky instead of road!!

If I can make it work, I'm shooting for a trackday at Road Atlanta in November (it's close to me, I just need to be sure I have the bike set first - front tire is fine for commuting, but won't handle a track day, etc). I'm hoping to learn more about the limits of my bike and expand my own. Anyone who's ridden Road Atlanta and has warnings/advice/joys to share, please let me know...forewarned is for-armed.

Greenteam, take it easy man, and don't rush the healing...we can still do the things we did when we were 20, but it takes longer to recover from them....

Old 10-01-2005, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi, great pics on the track.

I am looking into frame sliders preferably vortex for my 04 zx6R. I know the guy i bought this bike from used to race it at the track before he bought his 05r. He had the vortex blue sliders and i think he had a back one too posiibly. A kid who was looking at it said he could tell he had the back one on. I was wondering where u got yours and how much you paid? Also, Im assuming you had one on the back, but do you think a back one is necessary for the street. how much more protection can it give us.? HOw much for all of it?\

Thanx and good luck healing, bone pain sux! I know. Post more pics after you get back on the track!

Old 10-01-2005, 05:17 AM

Funkdock,

When you refer to "back" sliders are you refering to swing arm spools? There are many different varieties, some made of delrin which can act like a slider and save some damage. I have seen damage to a swing arm caused by an aluminum spool which IMO is a risk you take. I've provided the vortex link so you can look up prices. I personally don't care for the vortex frame sliders but that is only an opinion.

http://www.vortexracing.com/

Old 10-01-2005, 06:51 AM

Greenteam, happy to hear your ok.. Man not to say this but that's has got to be the best rush going around that track and I don't know if anyone else said this, but dude I hope this doesn't scare you away! You look like a good rider and I guess everyone is going to have their falls, but you'll end up a better rider cause you'll know what to expect and how to prevent it again...

Good Luck to you!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey banzai, im not sure what type for the back, thats why i was asking for recommedation. i dont know much about frame sliders, or much bout anything with bike so far. But why is it you said ur not a fan of vortex? I was going for these cause the guy before had them on. Also i heard that if you fall on these u only have to replace the puck and not the whole slider. Also they have a kinda matching blue lol.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

What he is referring to for the back are called swing arm sliders and they protect the swing arm from damage.

Also you should consider spool sliders for the rear, they allow you to use a rear stand for the bike and offer the same protection.

As you can see in the picture the spool slider took all the damage and repair cost for that was 18.00 for new slider. If not for the spool slider, it would have been 500.00 for a new swing arm. The front slider also saved me from replacing the lower and the upper plastic. The stator cover received cosmetic damage but is still intact.

Sliders make good sense, just stay with a nylon or derlin, ( both are a plastic compounds but more advanced) as apposed to a metal billet slider.

Ride safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/859A5111A3DC410CB896D278AA47112E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/5A4DB57BD34B49998E543F3A65576B57.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-03-2005, 02:44 AM

I agree with Nonstock, the idea is to prevent as much damage as possible when droping your bike.

I mainly went with the Vortex because I heard that they worked, liked the way the pucks can be replaced and the price is right. My friend has a 04 R6 and dropped his bike on the track, the bike hit one side and broke off the frame slider and then flipped over and broke off the other side. Major damage to the bike!

I purchased the Vortex frame sliders from http://store.58cycle.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=743

There prices are good and they don't over charge for shipping!

Also, I do have the swingarm sliders, happy with them also because they did save my swingarm. I had to buy ones made for a different bike and had to machine out the centers for the Kawi 10mm bolt hole. Worked fine, should be a hair longer because my axle nut did get ground down a tad.

I am also thinking of going with a aftermarket rear set. The reasons for this is for more ground clearence (have a problem with my toes grinding) and they will also aid in saving the engine side cases in a tip over. The pegs do not fold in and will act as a frame slider as well. Down side is you better have a spare foot peg if your bike goes down.

Mike

Old 10-03-2005, 03:46 AM

The pegs do not fold in and will act as a frame slider as well. Down side is you better have a spare foot peg if your bike goes down.

Be careful with that. They can also dig into the ground and either snap off, or bounce the bike up into a tumble and in an instant you bike is toast...

Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Funkdock

Hey banzai, im not sure what type for the back, thats why i was asking for recommedation. i dont know much about frame sliders, or much bout anything with bike so far. But why is it you said ur not a fan of vortex? I was going for these cause the guy before had them on. Also i heard that if you fall on these u only have to replace the puck and not the whole slider. Also they have a kinda matching blue lol.
I don't care for the Vortex because of the look. I've not seen them in person that I can recall, I would also like to see how well they hold up. The metal base/puck exchange can be a plus cost wise but may also cause the bike to flip if it catches a lip or digs into the ground. I know that other types of frame sliders can have the same problem.... I guess my point is anything is better than a bare fairing.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Well a few times i wasnt paying attention and almost dropped my bike. Im just glad im strong enough to manhandle it. But makes me think, next time might not be so lucky.

So im definitly wanting to get some frame sliders. What do you guys think about the need to have the rear spools if im not racing at the track. Still a good investment or what?

I think I found the front ones (vortex) for 30$ a piece base $15 a piece. So about 100/ w shipping.
The rear spools are about $25 a piece.

http://store.58cycle.com/ProductDeta...brp+del+ss+kaw

http://store.58cycle.com/ProductDeta...se+636+03%2D04

http://store.58cycle.com/ProductDeta...de=vor+fs+puck

I think im on the right track, what yall think?

Quick Reply: Vortex Frame Sliders Really Work!