something is leaking, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Default something is leaking, need help

I just noticed on my 2001 zx6r a leak from around the carborators. It is leaking from the black boot that is hose clamped to the bottom of the carborators. its leaking an oil type substance it seems.i also noticed a lot of sludge from the throttle springs that are inbetween the carbs. is this someting that normally leaks or is it somethign i need to fix or replace. The leaking around the black boot on the bottom of the carb seems to have a very slow bubbling when getting warmed up so it is under some sort of pressure i assume. is this goign to hert the bikes performance or should i get it fixed and is it something i would rather kawasaki dealer do?
I looked up the part that its leaking from and its called a carborator holder!

[align=left]16065: HOLDER-CARBURETOR[/align]
[align=center]560652-001[/align]

im not sure how i would tighten the clamps cause they are behind the carbs. not in the front were i could acess them!

Old 12-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: something is leaking, need help

Check and make sure those clamps are tight, sounds like unburnt fule or fule heading to the combustion chamber is leaking out of the seals. The sould be tight, not sure about yours but mine were held on by 3mm hex screws.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:01 AM

i cant tighten the clamps because the part were i need to tighten them is in the back next to the engine so i would have to take the carbs and everything off just to get at them, seems like a big job. and also all the sludge around the springs, is that bad?? do i need to let kawasaki rebuild my carbs? or is it normal for sludge to form around them. i have 30K on the bike

Old 12-25-2006, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like gas varnish. Brown gooey spooge around the carbs, and intake? Try spraying some carb, and choke cleaner to remove the varnish that crap can bind the spring, and gum up the carbs. Be careful not to hit the plastics, or anything painted. If the carbs haven't been serviced in a while then I would consider getting them cleaned, and all set up.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:54 AM

how much do you guys estimate it will cost me to have the rubber boot replaced, the carbs serviced and cleaned, and the sparkplugs replaced with iridium's.
how much u estimate for parts and labor at a kawasaki dealer?

also i have never had my bike at a dealer before so i wanna know that when they take my bike apart do they generally take excellant care of the painted surfaces to make sure nothing gets scratched. im kinda finatical about how nice the bike looks so if they generally take excellat care then i have nothign to worry about!

Old 12-26-2006, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member

What city, state do you live in? Some one may be able to help you find some place to do the work. The dealership around here (St. Pete, Fl) would charge around $150 plus parts.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Question: What does the air filter look like and while you are in there, is there any oil accumilating from possible blow by?

Old 12-26-2006, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya, I didn't think of that. At 30K the piston rings could be wearing-out.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shinobi636

Ya, I didn't think of that. At 30K the piston rings could be wearing-out.
I was not necessarily referring to just that ring scenario though. Technically with ring failure/wear and no leak downs performed to test that, you should see some tail pipe residue also. Doesn't the crankcase ventilate into the airbox?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:49 AM

The engine sounds very clean. I have a K&N filter. The airfilter has the normal blackish and dirty coler on the intake side after much use and asclean as new on the bottom by the carbs. The bike does not smoke at all and the exhaust is clean were it exits. I definitly do not believe there is any piston ring wear. The only thing is that one of the rubber boots that holds the carb has a hole or crack in it from the strap and when warming up starts to bubble out gas varnish. the gas varnish sludgeis probly just normalwere the throttle springs are after 30 K. They leak over time dont they??im sure it seeps through them very slowly after time correct?? The sludge on top of the rubber boots is eather because the straps got loose or the leaking from the throttle springs just seaped down on them. FROM how i described it does it sound like ii have any problems??
i would think the carbs just need to be cleaned and tightened and a new rubber boot. You guys understand what im talking about right?

Quick Reply: something is leaking, need help