Should i consider this bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Default Should i consider this bike

Ive been looking to get another bike since my parents sold my zx6r and wouldnt let me ride again till i was 18 and money been kinda tight for me right now and on craiglist i saw a 1993 ex500. it had a picture of it and it looked pretty clean. and in the add it says it runs good and starts easily. but it wont start right now cause the batterys dead. it also says it has 15000 miles on it. and hes asking 850 bucks. i know its not the coolest ride but itll get me back on 2 wheels while im saving up for a 636. but my question is do you think its worth the risk of buying it without hearing it start first? its located in a small town that i used to live in which is a good area. but i dunno. what do you guys think?

Old 08-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Should i consider this bike

skip if you can't test drive it, might have cooling probs, or others.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:20 PM

i can handle problems like that. and i have money to fix problems like that. i was wondering if 850 was a decent deal. with how my money saving is right now i can put away 1g a month and i have 2 gs right now. just itll take me 6-7 months to buy a 636 regardless. and i wouldnt mind a 500 for a fun track bike. and ill put a picture up of it. but i think i might call the guy and tell him if he buys and installs the battery ill pay him the money he spent on top of the price

Old 08-17-2005, 07:25 PM

you can see its actualy in pretty good shape

[IMG]local://upfiles/410/917F10CBD3EB4327BE07015F7144EC73.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Not the coolest ride???? Hey now, come on - they are really fun bikes! For $850 bucks, if it runs good I'd go for it! It looks like it is in good shape and I think the color scheme is pretty sharp. Can you borrow a battery from someone? Hard to say if the person would spring for a battery, but then again, they probably would if they know you are very interested. I bought a 94 with 28,000 km (about 17,000 miles) - I paid $3400 canadian (approx $2800 US at the time I bought it) for mine and it is in excellent shape. All I've had to do so far is change the oil.

Good luck, let us know how you make out!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 PM

Lol i was kiding about it not being cool. i was looking at the targa formula lowers for it and it looks pretty cool. and i seen a 92 EX 500 with it on and it looked real nice. it was green though. i think with lil money i could eventualy sell it for more than i paid for it too

Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

I imagine you could sell it for more than what you paid, if it's in good shape. I considered getting a lower for mine but know that I think about it, I kind of like it better without it. Makes it look different check out the pics in my gallery

The 500 might actually surprise you, they truly are fun and quite forgiving. As of right now, I have no intention on going to a bigger bike, I might go newer but not bigger! I am having way too much fun right now!

Old 08-17-2005, 09:17 PM

i like your choice in cars. but i have to say my firebirds better than your firebird!

Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 PM

hopefully if all goes well ill have a new bike this weekend and ill take pictures of them both. now its just the anxious wait for work to end so i can call the guy and get some more info. he only lives like 6 miles from me so who knows i might be able to talk him into to dropping it off at my house since i dont have a truck anymore. i hate the waiting game but i guess well see

Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BleedGreen

i like your choice in cars. but i have to say my firebirds better than your firebird!
Thanks! But I don't know if yours is better than mine - I guess it depends on what year is yours? And definately get some pics up - I'd love to see it!

I've had mine for ten years, so its got high mileage but it is in pretty decent shape, but it does need some minor bodywork and a fresh paint job. No mods though, still has the original 3.1 in it (I know, boring old V6 - but it works good and doesn't cost me an absolute fortune to run!)

I hope the bike works out for ya - hopefully you can get the guy to drop it off for ya. The guy I bought mine from actually delivered mine right to my driveway (he had to drive about an hour and a half to do it!)

Quick Reply: Should i consider this bike