Shift Lever is stuck. Cant get past 2nd..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Shift Lever is stuck. Cant get past 2nd..

Ok just a few minutes ago I pulled the bike out to take a ride. i always let it idle for a few till it warms up. As i left the house i did a few quick stops and the back tire locked up and skidded a couple times. no big deal. I get out on the main road and the shift lever is very hard to move and it gets stuck in the position you leave it in. It still shifts fairly smoothly but it wont shift up past second gear. I pulled up as hard as i could and it wont budge.

when i pressed down on the foot brake could that have affected the foot shifter? what the heck happend??

Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Shift Lever is stuck. Cant get past 2nd..

Wow, that's a head scratcher.[>:]

Old 04-16-2007, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Something with the shift drum. (my guess.)

Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Change your oil, drain it into a clear pan and look for any metal fragments. If you have a rear stand, put the rear tire up and with it running, try going through the gears. It should go into gear much easier with no load on the bike.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Crap i hope this isnt something major. Ill have to get a stand but ill be able to change oil without one.

another thing, when i was slamming on the foot brake it made a weird sound like the one you hear when you change gears. heh that confused me too.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hicktown
another thing, when i was slamming on the foot brake it made a weird sound like the one you hear when you change gears. heh that confused me too.
That was most likely the slack in the chain. When you hammer on the rear brake, the chain stops and the front sprocket will stop abruptly and make a clunking noise like a shift.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok. now do you think that the sudden stop of the sprocket caused something to lock up?

i think im just gonna take it to the dealer since i need a general service on it anyway...

Old 04-17-2007, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Change/ checkthe oil and your chain tension as 05ZX6R says preferably on a stand. Rotate the wheel with your hand and try shifting with the other. If it still doesn't shift, your shift drum return may have broken. I have heard this is a problem with the 05-06 ZX6R's. Go to www.FactoryPro.com and get the Star Shift EEvo kit: SHFT-EVO-K37-KT. But first make sure that is your problem; sounds like it since the lever won't return.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

ORIGINAL: hicktown
That was most likely the slack in the chain. When you hammer on the rear brake, the chain stops and the front sprocket will stop abruptly and make a clunking noise like a shift.
is it possible to have to much slack in the chain and it jumped a tooth and now is binding on the primary gear?

I would take the shift linkage apart and clean it out and maybe take the chain off and clean and re adjust the chain. if it doesnt fix the problem at least you have a few more clean parts befor you take it in to the shop.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Aight i just dropped it off at a friends house who works on bikes as a little side job. he is very maticulous/ocd and clean so i know he'll take care of my machine. i made a list of everything i want done and he said no problemo. he said the same thing speedracer so thats good news for me. ill check out that site too..

Quick Reply: Shift Lever is stuck. Cant get past 2nd..