Sell as is, part n sell, fix n sell??? what is best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Default Sell as is, part n sell, fix n sell??? what is best?

Hey,

Recently I was lane sharing and was cut off. Hard lesson learned, as I broke my clavicle in the crash. Luckily I was hip checked, so the impact was minimal and the sliders protected my fairings. I want to sell the bike because I am done with bikes, but I dont know what I should do... fix the bike and sell it, or part the aftermarket gear and sell the shell, or sell as is. I am not looking to sell for much; I am more interested in saving time while maximizing the money. For instance, if I sell as a shell then will I lose a grand off the price verses fixing it for a few bucks.

Here are the specs:

05 636
titanium
about 10-15k miles, highway mostly
never tracked, has been down
clean title

mods:

OPP carbon fiber fairing front and tail
puig smoked double bubble
hyperpro steering dampener
hotbodies undertail
short side pipe
bagster leather tank bag and cover
blue/yellow turn signals integrated into headlight corners
blue led conversion on display
a few light weight mods
reverse shifting mod
pig spotter mirrors

I also have the original titanium side fairings, right mirror and oem windscreen, which never got sold.

So here is what needs work:

The damage...the sliders were removed, but the handlebar sliders need to have the screws removed to remove them. Thebreakgrip is functionalbutisslightly bent. There are a few scratches on the cf fairing and a few cracks that need fixing. The right oil tank is scratched. I need to replace the right peg. The rear foot peg is scratched, but functional. The carbon fiber fairings are dulled and need painting to look clean and the front tire hugger and tank would need to be match painted or CF peices bought to match the fairings. The rear right peg needs rewelding as it pulled of its welds slightly on impact.

Ok, so here are my options:

1) Sell as is

2) Replace the right peg (only part needed for functionality)and sell a functional bike that needs a few cosmetics.

3) Sell opp carbon fairings to buy titanium front and rear and sell after fixing a few other damaged pieces or just functional peg.

4) Paint and fix fairing pieces and replace damaged parts and sell with oem items or sell oem items.

There are probably more options, but any advice would be appreciated. Since the bike runs great and was never abused, have reciepts from services too, I was hoping to get a few grand out of her, but let me know what is fair and my best option. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Sell as is, part n sell, fix n sell??? what is best?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ce/For%20Sale/

before pic... other pics are in link

Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

well you could probably get money for just selling as is...but you could sell for more if you fix it up and get it in prestine shape as before the crash...

if you want to figure out how much the bike is worth...look at how long you had the bike...then depending on that take off a precentage of the price you bought it at....but for 10k-15k in pristine conditions 5-6k is a good selling price...but since you have aftermarket products i would say that you figure out how long you had those products and then take off some of the price you paid for them as well and add them to the bike...so you looking then at just seeing how much it will take to fix the bike...

if you got lost in that idea...if you sell it at prestine condition 6k minus the fixing cost to get to prestine condition...then you are probably looking at 5,500 to 5,900 depending on if the fixing cost...

hope this answers your questions...it souly depends on what you want to do...if you get it all back to normal.....replace the foot peg..which is going to cost like 50bucks...they come in pairs...then the frame slider pucks which you could get for around 30-50bucks for replacement parts...

bottom line..fix it up and sell it..or find a price you would sell it at before the crash...then minus the repair bill...about the oem parts you took off...if i where you sell them with the bike at mint condition price...you can get it from bike bandit for the cost of the fairings...or sell it as a bundle seperate from the bike...

this is a good site to get replacement parts for shogun http://www.moto911.com/

if you want to get a generic price with no mods with your mileage...look at a kelly blue book for something under mint condition...

also if you want to look really good i believe that alot of bike shops will inspect the bike inside and out for a marginal fee of course...but you could add the report to the advertisement which would aid you in selling the downed bike faster and more efficently..

Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea, what he said. Sorry to hear about you incident. Take your time and make sure this is what you want to do.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Fix it.

Pull the good aftermarket stuff off and sell seperately.

Sell the bike closer to stock. Not much price difference anyways.

Was the wreck reported? Insurance claim?

The right oil tank is scratched.
WTF are you talking about here? There is no oil tank on these things.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

think he means the right engine cover? so the clutch housing.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

what is on the tank? is that a leather cover? if so how much would you want for that and the rear stock seat?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I got dibs on the hyperpro and the mirrors if you part it out

Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Either way; depends how much you want to get out of it. Is it paid off? Insurance Claim? If it was totalled by the Insurance, part it out. If it's not totalled, put it back to stock and sell it whole. What parts do you need? I have some parts that I can trade you for non stock parts. Are the frame Slider mounts (on the frame) bent? Looks like you need a new swingarm. Do you have the stock exhaust? Peg assembly etc? Let me know.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 AM

It is not paid off. I didn't have comprehensive on it, but the damage is less than $500 unless we consider restoring a few parts because one can't live with scratches. It was not totalled and still has a clean title.

I will probably put it back to stock selling the carbon fairing for a stock titanium tail and front piece, but who knows. I'll probably keep the exhaust and undertail with the bike when I sell it.

I am going to buy the stock peg and bracket. The swingarm doesn't need replacing. The bracket that holds the rear sprocket/slider needs to be rewelded back on the swingarm. The sliders did get bent, and I removed them, and probably will install new sliders.

Quick Reply: Sell as is, part n sell, fix n sell??? what is best?