Radiator Guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Radiator Guard

I was wondering if anyone has a radiator guard? I have about 700 miles on my 2005 ZX-6r and have noticed some damage to the radiator already. I was wondering if anyone has a guard and if so what kind, where did you get it from, and how hard was it to install?

Thanks in Advance

Old 08-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radiator Guard

I have seen some but I have never used one. My bike has about 42,000 miles and has some small dents in the fins but nothing to worry about. Just don’t mess up the air flow, running hot would cause more damage than having to replace a radiator that got damaged from some road debris.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

i didn't even know such a thing was evan made...

Old 08-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Here is one for an r1.

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/91E715C723D04479B9B80CDF9EFB599F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2005, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Just don’t mess up the air flow, running hot would cause more damage than having to replace a radiator that got damaged from some road debris[
I agree with you.....someone I ride with felt it was an issue. I would rather let it have the airflow it needs. I never had an issue with it on my past bike so I am not going to worry about it with this one. I would rather let it have the air it needs. I also really didn't want the extra weight of a guard.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

here you go bro. http://www.coxracingroup.com/

Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Great link! I had not come across that one.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:10 AM

i dont think that mesh guard would stop any airflow, well, enough to matter. the guard should only help with big rocks and sh*t from damaging your radiator...

Old 08-26-2005, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

I do not really think it's a necessity JMO

If you were racing probably yes, at 175 it would prvent some debris from turning into a bullet and putting a hole in her. Then running over the water at that speed would not be to good.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: eztalking

Just don’t mess up the air flow, running hot would cause more damage than having to replace a radiator that got damaged from some road debris[
I agree with you.....someone I ride with felt it was an issue. I would rather let it have the airflow it needs. I never had an issue with it on my past bike so I am not going to worry about it with this one. I would rather let it have the air it needs. I also really didn't want the extra weight of a guard.
Something to consider, If your radiator sustains a fair amount of damage, IE several fins get bent due to road debris the air flow will be inhibited to a small degree but over a period of time can cause enough of an obstruction to cause a rise in water temp. By the use of a screen you can reduce the amount of damage without significantly altering the air flow. Because most screens are made of Aluminum, the weight is a non factor compared to the protection they offer.

Another option for those who choose not to use a screen is the use of a radiator comb. You can straighten the fins yourself if you are comfortable enough to do so.

Notstock, Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: Radiator Guard