question about oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default question about oil

ill be changing my oil soon and im going to run full synthetic. i was wondering what oil, and oil filter i should use , and can i buy this stuff at a local auto place or do have to go to a kawi shop. thanks guys

Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: question about oil

i full synthetic in my bike. it's moble one. not sure on the filter thing. i know mine was changed but i don't know the part number for it. I'm sure you'll like the full synthetic though. I noticed that it quieted things down on my bike. well at least i think it did.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I run Mobil 1 4T 10W-40(http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...4T_10W-40.aspx) full sythentic motorcycle oil. The filter, I usually just get at the local Kawi dealer. It's only $5 and always in stock. I don't feel like waiting 2 weeks for a K&N filter to come in.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

how often do should you change it for a 2006 zx-6r? I did a quick search and people were saying things along the lines of 600 miles whichdoesn't sound rightto me. I have a honda cbr and i change the oil on that every 4k miles or so.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alexanderm

how often do should you change it for a 2006 zx-6r? I did a quick search and people were saying things along the lines of 600 miles whichdoesn't sound rightto me. I have a honda cbr and i change the oil on that every 4k miles or so.
500 is usually the first oil change after you buy the bike. Then it's every 3000 miles. Some will say they change the filter every other change, but I change it every time.

I've been running Mobil 1 15w-50 in my ZRX for about 55k of the 60k miles I have on it. Never a problem. Runs quieter, shifts smoother. In fact, that's how I know it's getting close to the next change, the shifting gets a little clunklier. I use the OEM filter.

You will get a lot of opinions on what oil, either motorcyle specific or car oil. Some will say not to use car oil. While some are bad, the Mobil 1 is great.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

I run Mobil 1 4T 10W-40(http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...4T_10W-40.aspx) full sythentic motorcycle oil. The filter, I usually just get at the local Kawi dealer. It's only $5 and always in stock. I don't feel like waiting 2 weeks for a K&N filter to come in.
I do that too man.

As for oil change intervals, I think it depends on how hard you run your bike. If you ride it like you're racing, then 4,000 miles might be to big of an interval.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:39 PM

I haven't tried the Mobil 1, but I've heard good things about it. I really like the Castrol Actevo 10w-40. Filter is really up to you. Some use OEM some use the emigo, or some spend extra for the K&N. I run my bike hard all the time, so I change my oil and filter between 2,000 - 2,500mi.

When I first got my bike I changed the oil every 500mi until 1,500mi then I still ran the petroleum until 2,500mi then I run the Synthetic Blend. I wanted to make sure I got all the metal crap out of my engine, thats why I changed it so much in the beginning. I have heard though that running full synthetic isn't good for our wet clutches. I could be wrong, but this is why I've stayed with the Synthetic Blend. I know they have full synthetic with wet clutch additives.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Humtek
I have heard though that running full synthetic isn't good for our wet clutches. I could be wrong, but this is why I've stayed with the Synthetic Blend. I know they have full synthetic with wet clutch additives.
That is why you should use motorycle specific oil, especially with full synthetic. I change my oil every 2500 miles, but check it every 500 miles to make sure there is enough. If it looks black earlier than 2500, I change it. I also change the oil filter with every oil change, for $5 and 20 seconds of extra work it's cheap insurance.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Again, I've been running Mobil 1 15w-50 CAR oil in my ZRX for 55k of 60k I have on it without any troubles.

Either way, nothing wrong with full syn.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

i run silkolene full syn motorcycle oil as well as a scotts stainless steel oil filter. its reusable you just take it apart clean it out with soap and water and make sure its dry and you never have to replace it. plus it filters out finer particles than papaer filters and flows better as well. damn i sound like a spokesman for scotts filters damn! I change my oil every 3000 miles

Quick Reply: question about oil