Not a Ninja, but . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Default Not a Ninja, but . . .

Lately I've been gassin' for a ZX-6R (or maybe even a ten but this is about sixes). So, I've been checking out the competition and what I've found is that all the bikes in this class (600) are priced so close together that it is just a matter of deciding which is the best bike and the best bike for me.

Well, I've discovered that the new Triumph Daytona 675 is spanking all the other bikes in its class in performance on the track (you can play around on Google and find these tests). Also, this bike is very sexy-looking even with the signals on stalks.

It would be very tempting to pass on a Ninja 6 and opt for the Daytona, very tempting indeed. But, the most important thing I know about Kawasakis is that they are rock solid reliable (even though I've heard that a couple of the sixes have gone BANG for no apparent reason).

I personally think the ZX-6R is one of the sharpest-looking bikes out there (the ten is even hotter). So, it is going to be a tough decision to make between the Kaw and the Triumph.

Another thing dancing through my fickle mind is the new Concours, which I've already posted about -if I decide to get rid of the Nad and just have one bike, I may go with the concours -I've got to have something that I can stand 8 - 10 hours in the saddle on and I'm no spring chicken (I'm 43 and have been riding motorized things with 2 wheels since I was 7).

So, keep the Nomad and add a street-legal race bike to the stable or chuck it all and go for the best of both worlds in one package (Concours)? Hmmmm, two bikes would look sweet in my garage . . .

The good news in all this is that I have about 2 years to think about it -that's when I'll be in a situation fiscally that will allow me to make the choice and take action.

Have any of y'all been able to check out the Daytona 675? If so, what do you think? It will take a lot to make me break away from Kawasaki, the best motorcycles in the world IMHO.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Not a Ninja, but . . .

one thing that always factors into my puchasing decisions is part cost. replacement parts, aftermarket parts. how do those prices compare.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

the 675 is a good ride darn good, cycle world did a test between the 675 and a Gixxer 750 (july 2007), the 675 got great reviews, " Able to carry high coner speed,Great exhaust note,and unmistakable styling", the only negitive ones were " Boarderline twitchy in quick traansitions, required extra shifts perlap, and so good they're hard to get. at the end of the article they say both bikes are wounderful, one test rider enoyed the 675, the other the 750. do what feels right

Old 07-19-2007, 04:31 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I read that same arctile. I love the D675. I tried to get one before I got my kawi. The price was just a little much for me and I decided to get a used bike for my frist bike so I wont be as made if I droped it or something. Parts are pricey and harder to get with the 675. If or when I get a second bike it will be a 675 or buel 1125R.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aszrael1266

buel 1125R.
i love the buell lightnings - well in general i love the sound of the v-twin sportbikes. but the buells are a work of art.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:19 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

You should check out the 1125R they just released the info on it this monday. Its going to have a rotax buit motor. 4 valve per cyclinder liqured cooled. The first buell to have all that and also its will have a 6spd. Rotax are the same people who build the motors for BMW and Aprillia. The local dealer said they will be out by nov.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: aszrael1266

You should check out the 1125R they just released the info on it this monday. Its going to have a rotax buit motor. 4 valve per cyclinder liqured cooled. The first buell to have all that and also its will have a 6spd. Rotax are the same people who build the motors for BMW and Aprillia. The local dealer said they will be out by nov.
Hmmmm. Didn't put a HD motor in it, huh? I wonder why"

Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

My next bike will probably be a street 675 which is just the naked version of the D675. The thing that turns me off is the reliability. Last race weeked 3 out of 4 675s broke. One had an ECU failure, another had a brake line fail, and another had a fuel rail issue.

As for being faster then other bikes, any modern 600 normally has more then 99.9% of riders can handle. While the 675 maybe capable of better lap times with a prolevel rider, most people will never get there. So I wouldn't even take that into account. Get what you feel is comfortable and rides nice. The 675s are narrow and a lot of people fine them uncomfortable.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Good point. there is no reason to upgrade to a diffrent bike. Most people can't get the most of 600's as it is. It just comes down to wanting somthing a little diffrent.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Local top level racers are within 2-3 seconds of their superbike times on 600s. That is on a 4.5 mile road course. Comparing a built liter bike to 600s. Just goes to show the rider is the limiting factor. Every single track day/race I've done I've passed or lapped more liter bikes then I can count. I could probably pass 95% of them on the 650R with less then 1/2 the power.

Quick Reply: Not a Ninja, but . . .