New to the forums, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Default New to the forums, need some help

Hello guys/gals! I'm new to the forums as of tonight. I read through them and I've found a few that kinda touch around the problems I'm having..but nothing that is dead-on. So if this is a re-post just direct me to the original one with a solution and I'll never do it again! Ha!

I'll start off by saying I'm 24 years old and a female rider I have a 2005 Zx6r. I've been traveling alot within the past year so I never got a chance to ride my bike so it basically sat in the garage for about 10 months. Obviously the battery was dead when I first tried to get it running. So I put it on charge 12v 2amp slow charge for about 7 hours. When i went out to the garage i saw that the lights would come on and when i would push the button to start it..there was the ticking noise that you hear when the battery is dead. I took it off the charger and decided i would try to push it and pop the clutch but as soon as i took it off the charger and tried to start it by pushing the button there was no ticking noise and no headlights nothing. Does this mean the battery is completely dead?

The next thing i noticed.. When i turn the key to on the guage lights just kinda flicker and I'm not sure if I just never noticed it before or if its normal for the FI light to be on and flickering also. In addition to this normally when i turn the key to on you can hear like a noise in the gas tank(sounds like gas being sucked in to me) but that noise wasn't there anymore it was just a ticking noise. Any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Default RE: New to the forums, need some help

Get a new battery

Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 PM

Yeah, those symptoms are exactly what my friend went through on his bike. I would definitely replace the battery and work you way from there. Also, if you go to your local parts store *or online*, try to invest in a Battery Tender when you are not using your bike. Hope this helps and best of luck. Oh, welcome to the forums.

IL

Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

The normal, sucking noise is probably your EFI controler, under the seat.But befor getting a new battery tryleaving the charger on over night, if the same thing happens. Then yea, new battery.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You can always check and clean your battery terminals, but batteries do not like staying connected for up to a year.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 AM

I guess I should be a little more specific. When I turn the key to on I hear a ticking noise in the gas tank..as well as the ticking noise coming from the dead battery. So even when I'm not hitting the start button at the same time the FI light is flashing something is ticking in the gas tank area. Is this normal when the battery is dead? Or could something be wrong with the fuel injection?

Thanks again

Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The battery might be too weak or has a bad connection or even a bad cell. It could be causing the throttle body solenoid to cycle and that is why you hear the ticking. You also need fresh gas. Start by getting the battery fully charged and tested for bad/ sulphatedcells, then check your connections for good contact and no corrosion. Try a squirt of starting fluid if youneed to flush the old fuel thru your injectors. Some 05-06 owners had throttle body problems but hopefully you aren't.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

The clicking sound you hear may be the fuel pump relay clicking on to prime up the fuel pressure in your fuel system. There's a 0.5% chance it has anything to do with your no-start problem though.

Like everyone else here has said; get a new battery. Your explanation of the issue sounds just like a battery that can't hold a charge.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also if you don't ride your bike for long periods of time, you should just give it to me, JK lol. You should get a battery tender. It will maintain your battery chargewhile stored/ no ridden. If you let the battery discharge too low, the cells will sulphate and go bad/ won't hold a charge.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Speed how long do you recommend going before disconnecting the battery. I have a friend who hasn't started his bike in like a month just over and her just replaced his battery and now it is doing the same thing. I at least start mine every week or every other week and let it run for a bit ifI can't ride.

Quick Reply: New to the forums, need some help