Mother F@%*$R

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Default Mother F@%*$R

I went home on Saturday to pick up my bike from the tire place and to get the exhaust on and sync it. I get it home and just try to start it with a jump from a charger, and it just cranks, but that's it. I had it previously running not 2 months before this, so what the hell? I was like, well maybe it's the gas...nope, carb settings, nope...finally, I decide to take the spark plugs out and check them...well, they look like they are stock...drity as hell...I took the first one out of the first cylinder to see if it would spark, when cranked, nothing...fouled plug...sure...well then I take #4 out and do the same...fouled...nasty as hell looking. They smell like gas, and now the engine is flooded...what do I do now? I am thinking it is more than just the plugs, but all the damn stores around were closed so I couldn't check...first...how do I "unflood" the engine, second, what the hell should I start with for the ignition system? Mind you, this bike ran good 2 months before this...just a little rich..Thanks...Matt

Old 04-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mother F@%*$R

Well I guess you have to figure out the spark thing first, I would bet you blew a fuse on the ignition or something. It might be separate from the starter circuit. However if you can get spark, and it still won't start, then I woulddrain the float bowl or bowls? Don't dismiss the bad gas thing. Try this. Get the gas out of the carbs, then fill with fresh and see if that does it, after you figure out the spark thing. I have seen plugs not fire before and put in fresh ones and it has spark. Won't hurt. Also when you are trying to see if its getting spark is it dark enough to see? And are you grounding the threads? Don't want to insult your intelligence, but it might be something really simple. Good luck man. Let us know what you find out.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:41 AM

I already tried draining the gas in the float bowls and putting new gas in, didn't work...I will be trying the fuse/spark plug thing first....ground the threads?....elaborate...

Old 04-12-2007, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1991ZX600R

I already tried draining the gas in the float bowls and putting new gas in, didn't work...I will be trying the fuse/spark plug thing first....ground the threads?....elaborate...
Oh sorry, when you are trying to see if a plug is getting spark, you have to make sure the metal body of the plug is touching ground. So you have to make sure the threads are touching the body of the bike. Here is a picture, again if you already knew this sorry.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:32 AM

*dumb question, but necesary* is the kill switch off?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Will the engine crank over with the on/off switch in the off position?

edit: In response to rains

Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 AM

yes .

Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

To "unflood" the engine, just crank it without the plugs in but make sure the coil power wires are disconnected or you may start a fire. (fuel/ air & spark). Or you could just let the bike sit a little while with the plugs out. The little bit of fuel will evaporate or drain in the crankcase.

You may want to see what is causing the fouling. Could be the floats stuck open due to dirt at the needle valve or the fuel petcock diaphragm is leaking directly into one of the cylinders through the vacuum hose. Check the cylinder that has the vacuum hose going from the fuel shut-off valve to the carburetor intake manifold/ boot. If that's the most fouled/ wettestplug, that is your problem. If all are fouled, check you air filter. If your battery or charging system is weak, you will have a weak spark which could lead to fouling plugs.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:17 PM

<--checking today most likely

Old 04-12-2007, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike won't crank with the on/off in the off position. Never heard of a bike cranking in the off switch position. Not talking about the key switch but the kill switch.

Quick Reply: Mother F@%*$R