LMAO I never learn...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default LMAO I never learn...

What is so hard about learning this lesson...

Cold tires plus paint just don't mix. Was at my local Starbucks hanging out for about 2 hours when I decide it's time to head home. Hop on the bike go to take off, cut a corner and ride right over a big square patch of slick paint (Words STOP painted out plus the entire square that the word is painted out in has some shiney slickness to it.) Sure enough I wash out. Bike slides for about 10 feet with me refusing to let go lmao. Come to a stop stand up pick the bike up and push it over into a parking spot. Mirror is folded completely down but still attached. Then I see it, expecting the worst. However to my surprise I realizemy Vortex (cut type) sliders are worth their weight in gold. No damage to the bike other than the mirror having a slight scuff on the outside and some minor scrapes to my fairing right below the engine case. Not sure if the engine case took any damage considering it is scraped to hell already from me having to much fun in the canyons. So basically no damage I couldn't be more happy with the frame sliders. But damn what is wrong with me that I can't learn my lesson I've done the cold tire washout once before and I've had probably 4 other random crashes either from canyon running or knee dragging freeway on ramps. In my three years of riding seems I've had more than my fair share of crashes getting to the point where I wonder if I was cut out for this. I think I have some gene that makes me motorcycle stupid. Of course with that said there's no chance of me stopping any time I don't see an end to my riding any time soon. Probably part of the motorcycle stupid gene I have. I've grown very wise in my three years of riding mainly due to the fact I was run over by a F-150 when the driver ran a red light and I'm very literal when I say run over. Took the rear right tire right across my chest I got to watch it all happen in slo-mo to since I waslaying on my back. Knocked the stupid kid right out of me that day. So all an all I consider myself to be a safe rider (no more on ramp stupidness very little canyons but I'm no saint either so I still have my fun up there from time to time but when I ride on the streets/freeway I consider myself to be one of the safest riders I know. I may not be the most skilled as I've proven to myself today with that stupid cold tire mishap but I do consider myself smart. So if I'm so damn smart why can't I learn that important lesson cold tires don't grip lol.

Anyone else as crash prone as myself or should I seriously consider giving up riding (which by the way will just be a consideration that I will promptly throw out the window as I stated earlier I couldn't give this up. The times when my bike is down or for whatever reason I don't have a bike I swear a little part of me dies so no, I won't be giving it up any time soon but damn that motorcycle stupid gene is really getting me to wonder if some people just shouldn't be riding.

So anyone out there have the motorcycle stupid gene or am I alone on this one. I really hope to hear someone else has the bug so I can atleast stop holding my head down in shame for being a putz.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: LMAO I never learn...

Well I feel you bro. The second day I had my bike I laid it down because of cold tires.....yep not even a block from my house. Scraped my right mirror up and broke the little end peice off of my brake lever but no scratches on anything but me. My right knee was brusied pretty bad and my right elbow got some road rash....I still get little bits of gravel out of it...that happened in August 2006. Nobody had warned me about cold tires....up until that point I had only ridden dirtbikes. Haven't done anything close to it since tho. (knock on wood) Sucks about you and the F-150.....glad you are ok and still on the forums with us!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah just in the kicking myself stage for being an idiot. I consider myself to smart to be doing that considering I've already done it before lol... But I guess that's the ticket right there. The moment you think you know everything is the moment you know nothing eh? Not that I believe I know everything not by far 3 years is still a rookie I suppose. But damn am I sick of these squid crashes lol. =\ *sigh* Well like the title says I guess I never learn lol. Hope your better from your accident DG and yeah that first time you go down because of cold tires is a shock because even if someone warns you about it you never really know how bad it is with cold tires until it happens.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

That sucks, laying down your bike like that. I'm glad our OK, and there is no major damage to your bike.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 in you being ok.
Only you and your ride will tell about the other. Ride safe

Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

now that i know your ok, stop by the house so i can slap the **** out of you ! had a colt tire experience once leaving my house in a hurry. luckaly, the dirt riding experience kicked in because i mx'd my *** out of it. be carefull, im out of body work for the time being. stay safe bro.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Glad you and your steed are OK. Happens to the best of us. I pulled out of a gas station once shortly after I had gotten the bikeand snapped the throttle. It slid the rear tire and I crossed it up momentarily but didn't high-side. Forgot how much power these things have and that my tires had cooled down waiting to get gas. Also the driveway was very smooth/ like polished concrete and it didn't help that I saw a BMW bike go by that I wanted to catch up to.

Did a similar thing another timetrying to go around a car that was turning left, except this time it was gravel. Man I thought I was going to eat it for sure! but saved it! WHEW! Did the left, right, left shuffle through the gravel though. That time I was being impatient.

Would have been a RUDE AWAKENING! to say the least.

Gotta remember that we have A LOT OF POWER at hand and to handle it responsibly.