Insurance rates? Help! : /

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Default Insurance rates? Help! : /

So, I've been looking to buy a new bike... Did some searching and decided to get a 2007 ZX6R...
Went to a few dealerships, one offered an insurance quote, so I did it...
$2900 a year... Sooo, basically, my hopes of getting a bike got shot down...

Is this normal? Seems pretty ridiculous...
Background- Im 18, this will be my first bike, ill take the MSF class beforeI buy one,
I have one other car in my name, and I have a completely clean record.

Well, just wondering why it is so high, and if there is any way around it..maybe?
Like could it be in my dads name.. Since he is older, and has had a motorcycle license for a long time...
Let me know

Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Insurance rates? Help! : /

shop around for insurance...it is a funny little creature. Some will come in ungodly high but others won't be to bad. Take your time and definitely take that class before you buy cause that will help.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Your age, lack of riding experience, and the fact you want a new "performance" bike all stack up against you according to the bean-counters who calculate that stuff. Even if your dad gets the bike, when he attempts to insure it and explains you will be a user of it, the rate will reflect that. If he wouldn't tell them you were going to use it, and you dumped it, the insurance people could potentially deny or lessen the payout.
My advice would be to get a gently used, non-performance bike, to lessen the cost in many ways and give you some experience on a bike that won't add to a stretched budget if you dump it. You don't need a new rocketship at this stage (all due respect.)

Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds about right for an 18 year old. Just another reason to start on a used beginner bike.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah it's all aboutage for you my freind. ive got two points one accident and i pay a little over a thousand a year.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UhnTiss
Is this normal? Seems pretty ridiculous...
Background- Im 18, this will be my first bike
That says it all. Find something 3-4 years old. That way when it falls, and it will, or when you drop it, and you will, it won't hurt so much. Try pricing new plastics. They ain't cheap.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

There are few benefits to getting old. As long as you don't get into accidents, your insurance rates usually go down. Yippeee.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed, check rates at different places, and try different bikes too, the ZZR600 is only a small step down in performance, but could knock a lot off the rates.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

When I was 21ish and got my new 03 636 I was paying 1500-1600 a year in a state that didn't have a helmet law (NH) Now I live in MA (with a helmet law) and I'm 25 and I pay 360 a year... Age and location make a huge difference... I used to live in a big city (bean counter's say there's a better chance of it getting stolen, more drivers so more chance for accident etc etc) Now I live in a rural small town...

Def shop around some more for an ins quote and def get a used bike first... I bought a 92 zx6r and rode that for a year before I bought my brand new 03... I dropped the 92 a couple of times and didn't give 2 $hits about it and haven't dropped the new bike ... Just my 2 cents... Either way be safe and welcome to KF

Old 11-13-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Find a rich sugar momma! Seroiusly, the only way around it is buying a bike a few years older like everyone said. You can always upgrade down the road if you seriously get in to it. I know when I got my first bike , vfr 750 at 23 I had to sell it because I was an idiot on it and wasn't ready. So save the cash on buying new for now.....my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Insurance rates? Help! : /