Hrm Bike design peeves me a bit...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Hrm Bike design peeves me a bit...

I have an 06 zx-6r with a dead battery...real cool i know. Anyways battery is on the way...and i was looking at the set up...why in the world do i have to take apart like 95% of the freakin bike to get to the battery!! I mean I am exaggerating, but based on what I see it seems like a chore. I've never done any maintenance work on any auto ever bc I am a schmutz, but im tryin to learn...Will i have to take off my steering damper to be able to prop the fuel tank? And is it going to be an isssue that my fuel tank is full? I have the service manual, but i figured if any of you bike savvy peeps have had any experience swapping out the battery you're words would be easier to understand. Any help would be great. Thanks a bunch...and to you too Kawasaki engineers hah!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hrm Bike design peeves me a bit...

(God bless my old ZX9.)

Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You'll have to remove the tank & rear tank pivot/support to get the battery out. Don't forget to unplug he fuel pump and tip-over sensor. Yes, it is a PIA.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Its not that bad. Remove the seat and tank.Igotthe batt out inmy 05 in the amount of time it took the guy on the phone to look up the part number. I didnt take the tank completely off just gotlifted ithigh enough to get the batt out.

Not a very confeniant place to try and charge it when its in the bike either. One of my only complaints about the bike.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

on a lot of the new cars you have to remove the wheel well or front bumper to get to the battery. all part of the "compact space saving" dealy

bikes are generally easier than cars to deal with

Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i didnt have to take off my hyperpro damper to get the battery out. its not that bad. just because your learning and want to learn, take it all apart. its easy.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah not that hard, it took me an hour or so the first time but now i can rip the bike down to frame and engine within 45 min or so

Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: evil636

i didnt have to take off my hyperpro damper to get the battery out. its not that bad. just because your learning and want to learn, take it all apart. its easy.
Yeah, I guess if you remove the rear tank side mount bolts and bracket, you can lift the tank and get it out.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Pick upa Battery Tender or similar trickle type charger that has the leads that attatch to the battery terminals andbolt those on the new battery when it goes in. Stick the plug out the side so you can plug in the battery to keep it charged when you aren't riding. I got a Yuasa brand charger and a WalMart Special brand charger and both seem to be working great keeping both my bikes charged and ready to go.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I sugest such it's such a pain just get rid of the darn thing. I'll put the first bid in at $12, a half pack of gum, and some pocket lint. Joking aside I need to be thankful for my ZZR getting the battery in and out is as easy as filling it up with gas. Good luck and take your time and get to know your bike.

Quick Reply: Hrm Bike design peeves me a bit...