Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Ninja ZX-6R & ZX-6RR (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-zx-6r-zx-6rr-16/)
-   -   Easiest way to make bike steer quicker ('06 636) (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-zx-6r-zx-6rr-16/easiest-way-make-bike-steer-quicker-06-636-a-5863/)

xrider 08-14-2006 03:03 AM

Easiest way to make bike steer quicker ('06 636)

What is an easy way to get a '06 636 to be a little more nimble handling? Maybe something as simple as moving the forks up a bit or changing to a different tire size would quicken it up?

gotrice 08-14-2006 03:32 AM

RE: Easiest way to make bike steer quicker ('06 636)

pilot powers
shortest chain possible (smaller wheel base)
lower front forks 5mm

shifting weight

have fun

gotrice 08-14-2006 03:37 AM

lower front end 5mm [8D]

xrider 08-14-2006 04:07 AM

Is this a common thing to do? I just don't want to do something ill advised (not that gotrice would push something too ill advised).

Is this as easy as it looks to do? I mean the tube are up about 10mm right now (from the top of the fat tube) so just loosen the bolts and dropping it another 5 seems simple and won't require changing brake or clutch levers. I guess I would drop the clip-ons first and tighten them so no matter what the tube can't fall more than 6 mm. I'll leave about 1mm like there is now between the clip-ons and the tube.

05ZX6R 08-14-2006 04:45 AM

Going with a shorter chain is one idea, until it strectchs and it won;t make much difference. I think the most noticeable change would be to go with skinnier tires. I think the 180 rear tire is overkill and a 160 would do fine with much more agility, I don't know if there is a skinnier tire for the front. I wouldn't touch the front end, if 5mm made that much a difference than why didn't the factory do it?

speedracer138 08-14-2006 05:57 AM

Do not put skinnier tires! Use a lower profile 60 series (120/60-17). The 180 is the correct size for that size (5.50 x 17") rim; a 160 is way too narrow. 170 maybe. You'll end up riding off the edge because the profile will be too flat You may not have to lower the front end but can if it's still not quick enough. Set up your suspension first (Sag, preload etc), then make the other changes.

xrider 08-14-2006 06:13 AM

Would it make enough difference to just lower the front? I mean the tires are still new and I rather do something that's free.

xrider 08-14-2006 06:19 AM

When I go to move the tubes are the top and bottom clamps connected? I mean the tubes won't slide unless both top and bottom clamps are loose, right?

speedracer138 08-14-2006 06:43 AM

When I go to move the tubes are the top and bottom clamps connected? I mean the tubes won't slide unless both top and bottom clamps are loose, right?
Yes that is correct. Loosen only one side at a time and pull up on the loose side tube, then tighten it and do the same with the other side until you get 5 mm each. Have you set your sag/ preload already? If not, do that first.

xrider 08-14-2006 07:20 AM

I am considering just positioning the clutch and brake lever brackets down by 5mm first then tightening them. All I have to do then is loosen the top and bottom clamps and let the weight of the bike drop the clamps down to the top of the lever brackets, they will stop it from dropping further. I'll probably put something thin I can take out later to keep the clamps from resting on the lever brackets (about a 1mm gap). This should be a lot easier than removing the tire and doing each leg individually.

evil636 08-14-2006 10:23 AM

dont take a short cut on messing with your front end like that x. lighter wheels will make your bike more flickable too.

05ZX6R 08-14-2006 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Do not put skinnier tires! Use a lower profile 60 series (120/60-17). The 180 is the correct size for that size (5.50 x 17") rim; a 160 is way too narrow. 170 maybe. You'll end up riding off the edge because the profile will be too flat You may not have to lower the front end but can if it's still not quick enough. Set up your suspension first (Sag, preload etc), then make the other changes.
The only thing a lower profile tire will do is make your overall circumference smaller and make your speedometer off even more. It will not help cornering at all. Also you take away the tall sidewalls that help soak up bumps, so now you will feel the bumps a ton more in the front end.

xrider 08-14-2006 05:35 PM

Now that I think about it, how will dropping the tubes help at all? I mean the front dives inches when you brake going into a turn, an extra 5mm is nothing. Am I missing something?

evil636 08-14-2006 07:49 PM

x and 056, you guys are both missing something here.

xrider 08-14-2006 09:20 PM

So evil, your saying the only thing that could help is a lighter rim?

Bluebeast 08-15-2006 12:04 AM

Xrider not to be mean or anything but maybe you should learn the bike a little more. After a little while on it you should be able to fick it into the corners with ease.

russ90602 08-15-2006 12:12 AM

dropping the front will help the bike lean into the turn but only at high speed will you really notice the difference! the reason its not really popular is because it changes the "rake/geometry" of the bike making the bike shake and become unstable at high speeds and it decrease your ground clearance. the best thing to do is add a 3 or 5mm nut on the rear spring lifting the rear end. if you are talking track, than even a millimeter can make a difference. i looked into this and asked dave moss of catalyst reaction suspension tuning about getting the bike to lean better on turn 1 at thunder hill (120 mph turn) and his recommendation was drop the front 1mm at a time. as far a tire profiles, here is a fun fact: even if the tire sizes are the same, there is a difference in the outer diameter/profile of the tire between brands. michellen and dunlope have a larger o.d. rear and smaller front. perelli and metzler have a smaller profile rear and larger front. bridgestone is the intermediate between both. So by changing between these tires actually you actually change the geometry (rake) of your suspension. Going from the stock bridgestones to perelli I dropped the font of my bike 3 mm. lighter wheels will achieve what you are looking for due to the decrease in unsprung weight but they cost some $'s.

gotrice 08-15-2006 12:53 AM

I do agree with the rims. If you would get the carbon fiber rims you would notice a drastic decrease in the gyro affect, but that comes with a $3500 price tag. Now that is top of the line and you can get cheaper rims that are lighter than stock, but all in all if you have the $$$ to burn do it, if not and you are just going to ride it on the street with the occansinal track day, then dont waste your money cause your never gonna use the bike to its full potential anyway.

I was looking into the carbon fiber rims, but just couldnt fork over the cash lol

S4ONE 08-15-2006 01:02 AM

simple.... get your suspension set up for you...

evil636 08-15-2006 02:55 AM

for the question in general. suspension isnt going to make the bike turn quicker. its going to affect the way the bike handles when its in a full lean, slow turn, pot hole etc..

like russ mentioned, less rotating mass, quicker flickability. heres the difference my bike made with aftermarket wheels on it. while riding, it takes minimal effort to throw it into a lean and a "s" turn is even more fun. i just put my wheels on today and by dropping the weifgt in front 6 pounds and an self estimated 5 to 7 pounds in the back (i didnt weigh the rear) it was like getting on a 250 and flinging it around.

if thats what your looking for then lighter wheels. but be looking to spend a good 1500.00 to 2500.00

Notstock 08-15-2006 03:31 AM

Well I will ask it: Rider experience, I have found that most of our bikes are fast as we need and turn in just fine, with the sag set up, for normal street and canyon ridding.

If you are looking for more than I ask where are you trying to flick your bake at 120 mph.
If you are on the street God help you because you are riding in the wrong place.

What russ has said is true and the adjustment s are more tailored toward track riding and racing. The lighter wheels that evil recommends are correct too. It is purely mathematics there. BTW evils new rims are sick and I wish I had a pair.

Bottom line is most bikes are more than nimble enough for street riding, and I had a bike set up for the track or racing I would not want to bang it around on the street and f-it up.

JMO and ride safe

xrider 08-15-2006 03:54 AM

I guess it's just me coming from a 16" front wheel with real handlebars to this bike with 17" and clip-ons (old bike was a '85 interceptor). I was just wondering if there was something easy. And yes the lack of riding is probably the real issue. I rode it for like 2 hours on some twisties and paid for that with 3 weeks of knee pain. I get to see my doctor in a few weeks about my prepatellar knee bursitis and it has just got to get fixed.

Notstock 08-15-2006 04:07 AM

You may just not be pushing hard enough on the bars when entering a turn. I still think I am pushing as hard as the bike will allow and fools are turning in way faster than I am.

It is all about practicing and knowing your bike. At Ca speed way turn 2 and 3 is a S and taken at a pretty high rate of speed, a hard push on the left and than a quick hard push on the right and you can get through it fast. I can not flick that fast though, the level 3 riders get though quick and flick there bikes well.Ssome foos have some hella skills out there.

If you have bad knees sport bikes can be hard on them.

xrider 08-15-2006 04:13 AM

yea, I may have to slip back to something like an interceptor. That would be OK. Even when it's not my knees it's something bugging me on these supersports. I guess I had to try one so I would know they aren't for me.

speedracer138 08-15-2006 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

The only thing a lower profile tire will do is make your overall circumference smaller and make your speedometer off even more. It will not help cornering at all. Also you take away the tall sidewalls that help soak up bumps, so now you will feel the bumps a ton more in the front end.
The speedo is signalled by the countershaft sprocket and not the front wheel so the MPH will not be affected. The bumps you may or may not feel are negligable. xrider, since you want the cheapest & quickest result, lowering the front end is the way to go. Later when you replace the front tire, go with the 60 series and you may want to raise the front end back to where it was. And if you can swing it, even better would be what Evil636 has done especially with the 60 or 65 series front tire. Different aspect ratio tire will affect how quick a motorcycle turns. A 70 series will turn slower (Less flickable) than a 65 or 60 series tire. Just like a 16" front wheel will turn quicker than a 17". And that is why most magazine testers either raise or lower the front end depending on which tire they use.

racedoll 08-15-2006 11:26 AM

Amen to the bad knees. Mine aren't horrible but they are definitely sore when I'm done riding.

My 1 cent since I'm not going to get into the politics of bike set up since I know very little. From what I do understand, you can get a bike that flicks too easily and could cause more headaches (literally) than you want.

I agree, if you aren't very experienced then you should just not mess with set up. Personally my bike is still set from the factory (which is roughly for a 150lb person) and I'm pushing 130 with all my gear, because I don't know enough to change it. I'm just now playing with the idea of changing for the one track I go to because it's so bumpy and my bike is too stiff for it.

[sm=smiley20.gif] to russ about the tire dimension even if the "size" (180, 190 etc) are the same.

speedracer138 08-16-2006 12:31 AM

[sm=smiley20.gif] to russ about the tire dimension even if the "size" (180, 190 etc) are the same.
I agree with russ also.

That is true. I have a Bridgestone BT58R 180/55-70 and it's as wide as a 190 (3/4" wider than the same size Michelin Power Race). It's even wider than my BT014 180. Even within the same Manufacturer, the sizes aren't consistent between different model tires. Also the profiles are different between Dunlop and Michelin. Some are rounder profile and some more triangulated.

Notstock 08-16-2006 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: racedoll

Amen to the bad knees. Mine aren't horrible but they are definitely sore when I'm done riding.

My 1 cent since I'm not going to get into the politics of bike set up since I know very little. From what I do understand, you can get a bike that flicks too easily and could cause more headaches (literally) than you want.

I agree, if you aren't very experienced then you should just not mess with set up. Personally my bike is still set from the factory (which is roughly for a 150lb person) and I'm pushing 130 with all my gear, because I don't know enough to change it. I'm just now playing with the idea of changing for the one track I go to because it's so bumpy and my bike is too stiff for it.

Nice [sm=badbadbad.gif] sorry I had to racedoll :D

speedracer138 08-16-2006 06:04 AM

The quicker the steering is, the less stable the bike is and vice-versa. If you want the quicker steering, you'd better get a steering damper if you don't have one already.

xrider 08-16-2006 07:21 AM

Well I took the bike out last night for a few minutes. The slow steering feeling was gone, I must have stayed adjusted from my ride over a month a go. Sorry about all the fuse.

My knees felt OK later but that was only a few minute ride. I also iced them when I got back just to make sure.

Racedoll, I am only 150 and the stock setting on the '06 636 was really pretty harsh on the street. I went with the '05 adjustments recommended by SR and like them a lot.

They are at this link: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_26412/tm.htm

Bluebeast 08-16-2006 05:37 PM

Glad to here the bike is turnning better for you. Sounds like you got her dialed in for now.

racedoll 08-17-2006 03:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Notstock
Nice [sm=badbadbad.gif] sorry I had to racedoll :D
So this is what I get for being honest? I'm not quite sure how to take it.

Thanks for link xrider. I actually went to Kawasaki and asked them for some settings. They are supposed to be emailing me back. I just emailed my contact yesterday.

Notstock 08-17-2006 03:44 AM

Best setting! Set your sag and then make small adjustments from there. If your contact does not tell you to start there then losse thier #.

It was a compliment!

racedoll 08-17-2006 05:32 AM

Thanks Notstock. If my contact doesn't follow through, which I'm 99.99% sure they will then I will have my hubby help me. He was a little P.O.'d that I contacted Kawasaki directly without asking his help. I figure they would have a set guideline where with him it's just trial and error, and I'm not too comfortable about the error part.

Notstock 08-17-2006 06:31 AM

It is easy just follow these instructions. Afterwards you can experiment with a little softer or stiffer.

http://www.roadracinghelp.com/TechAr..._sag_setup.htm

speedracer138 08-17-2006 08:32 AM

Racedoll, go with Notsocks advice on this one. The dealer/ contact will only tell you what the specified setting is as stock which is already setup that way. Set your sag and the preload will be just right for you. Then you can play around with the dampening so suit your riding style & conditions.

racedoll 08-17-2006 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

Racedoll, go with Notsocks advice on this one. The dealer/ contact will only tell you what the specified setting is as stock which is already setup that way. Set your sag and the preload will be just right for you. Then you can play around with the dampening so suit your riding style & conditions.
Thanks guys. I will keep this advice all in mind. I contacted Kawasaki in CA for this one, not just the dealer. I hardly trust the dealer to change my tires let alone anything else. I spoke with a guy in person when we had the Kawasaki Track Day at Mid-Ohio a couple weeks ago and he is supposed to respond back with some numbers and an explanation on another question.

speedracer138 08-17-2006 03:39 PM

Great! Keep us posteed on what you learn/ find out.

Notstock 08-17-2006 05:56 PM

Yes please post back what youi learn. Did you contact the Kaw corp in Irvine? Just curious I recently meet someone who works there.

racedoll 08-17-2006 06:24 PM

It's kind of a long story so here is the shortest version:

I met a guy at the Cleveland MC show a few years back.
I emailed him my questions a couple months back, knowing he would have to forward them to someone else.
Another guy called me regarding that email. He just so happened to be at Mid-Ohio for the Kawasaki day the Wednesday before the AMA races. So I met him in person.
He then introduced me to another guy there.
That guy told me to email my questions to him along with my dyno sheet (one of my questions was regarding that). He is supposed to talk with the tech guys and get back to me.
He said they have some numbers from testing they have done to give me a baseline to start with - based on MY weight.

I really only need it for one track that I go to because it's so darn rough. Mid-Ohio is beautiful now that it's paved. I had no issues there with the suspension being too hard. I'm sure it could be better though, but I had absolutely no complaints.

Yes, I'll keep you guys posted. I was impressed they called, came down to see the bike (on the Kawi day), looked at my dyno sheet, etc, etc. They seemed to have a geniune interest in answering my questions and such.