Cold Road + COld Tire = Kiss my a$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Default RE: Cold Road + COld Tire = Kiss my a$$

ORIGINAL: Banzai

ryninger, when you talk about "gear" what did you mean? The injuries you describe make it sound like you were wearing a helmet, tennis shoes and shorts.
I had on my helmet, alpinstarts jacket (the inserts saved some skin, literally) Thor racing gloves, Work books, and thick jeans (which ended up shreded around the pokcets)

Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about it but at least you're OK. Concussion through the helmet! must have cracked you skull pretty hard....

Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Bluebird I am having the same problem now that the mercury is dropping with my current gloves. I'm thinking about getting THESE. sure is cheaper than buying a new set of gloves

Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 056r

Hey Bluebird I am having the same problem now that the mercury is dropping with my current gloves. I'm thinking about getting THESE. sure is cheaper than buying a new set of gloves
Those are nice! I'd get some, but I can't even fit those little stretchy gloves on under my riding gloves. Believe it or not, a pair of surgical gloves worked pretty good under my gloves, not the warmest things but they did help some. I'll have to pull out the gloves I use for snowmobiling, that would look hilarious!

Old 11-22-2005, 03:08 AM

Ryninger,

I am glad you just came out with minor scrapes. I learned early on in my riding experence (2nd day riding), that full leathers are the way to go. If I happen to just cruise to the store with a leather jacket, gloves and helmet, I feel nakid. I have been wearing full leathers for years and I have gone down once on the street and just come out with a sore pinky finger that got pinched between the bar and the pavement. I have also been down at the race track (8 weeks ago) and I had only one scrape which was from my elbow wearing through the leathers (I did fracture my pelvis in 4 locations and fractured 3 ribs) , I tumbled and slid about 150 feet.

The Vortex frame sliders saved my bike from alot of damage too!

Keep the rubber side down,
Mike

Old 11-23-2005, 12:45 AM

Well it always sucks to hear about a wreck....to the newbs a key reminder.....tire warmers are made for a reason, if you feel her glidin'..release the throttle and keep your wheel straight...DO NOT TRY AND COUNTER, you will eat it[sm=badidea.gif]...... my two cents--- i love cold cement, to me it means rollin burn-outs from hell....hehehe[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 AM

Pics of the not so great morning... was rolling through a right hand yeild sign (not getting crazy, cause of the cold tires) and felt her slide Acted on instinct and ledt off the throttle, but was too far gone to straighten her out and ended up (I think) high siding...

[IMG]local://upfiles/352/76E06BF0C1FF4D32824F7F6F724F0E22.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/352/062D5D125B0E434E8B6799851456EC72.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/352/897BFC05E8BC4B5FB105F3CEE60B23C2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/352/455D601170EC473783719DE9973AC2E6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Scrtsvc

Well it always sucks to hear about a wreck....to the newbs a key reminder.....tire warmers are made for a reason, if you feel her glidin'..release the throttle and keep your wheel straight...DO NOT TRY AND COUNTER, you will eat it[sm=badidea.gif]...... my two cents--- i love cold cement, to me it means rollin burn-outs from hell....hehehe[sm=icon_rock.gif]

JMO but in the event of a rear tire spin stay on the gas easy and ride it out, cutting the throttle may allow the rear wheel to regain traction to quickly and cause you to high side. Same thing goes for locking up the rear but this time you stay on the brake, unless you are going in a straight line you should ride it out to a stop. Releasing the brake and letting the rear regain traction and start spinning again could have grave consequences.

A short while ago someone posted a vid of a person leaving the dealer and spinning the rear, he cut the throttle and it high sided his ***. He was only traveling at about 10-15 mph, it was the force of the spinning rear wheel that kicked his ***!

Keith Code said it best, “When in doubt gas itâ€

Old 11-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

i have to agree with my wingman..... stay on the gas and ride it out.... it's our instinct to let go of the throttle when you feel the rear end sliding out.... and we've all done it.... i have with cold tires.... or even with the tires are up to temp and you slide the rear going into a turn too hot, you want to let go to regain control.... but thats not the case here.... fight the instinct to gain control...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the bike and injuries, good thing your still here with us. I know its gotta hurt to look at your bike in that condition. The same thing almost happened to me leaving for work in the morrning rolled on the throttle in a straight line and still brought the rear out to the right, did what everyone would do let off the gas. got lucky and it straightend out (as my heart pounds faster than my bike revs) i still get the chills thinking about what could of happend, among other stupid things ive done.

Quick Reply: Cold Road + COld Tire = Kiss my a$$