clutch again

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default clutch again

well i ordered a new clutch push rod. gonna be 3 weeks!!!!! i had a buddy where i work machine me a new shaft the same as the one that broke and it lasted like 1/2 a block. although it was just cold rolled steel. it worked fine and i was all excited that it was fixed then snap, done. the shaft is ALOT smaller than the bearing in the clutch basket end plate. is it supposed to be?? it's like 1/8 of an inch smaller in diameter than the inside of the bearing. that makes NO sense to me. i am figuring that he swapped the parts but i could be jumping the gun. any advice would be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/466/64C559ED446B46B4B0C181936055B037.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: clutch again

joe how hard was it to disassemble the clutch? I was going to do mine and check the plates for being warped.

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/9CEA1AE6C548481FBF33F253DAB079DD.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

joe how hard was it to disassemble the clutch? I was going to do mine and check the plates for being warped.

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/9CEA1AE6C548481FBF33F253DAB079DD.gif[/IMG]
Yo NS. be like nike and just do it.... lol lol lol It shouldnt be that hard should it??? If so let me know so I dont do it lol.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

NS....if I remember right he took it to a really bad mechanic.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah he sux, but all you do is pull off your fairing on the right side, make sure it's on the kickstand so you don't leak any oil out, undo all the clutch cover bolts, turn the clutch arm on the outside of the case 90 degrees toward the back of the bike and pull off your cover. then you just undo your clutch spring bolts and voila. be sure to take off your clutch spring bolts in a criss cross pattern. then pull off your basket plate and then pull the push rod out and then your basket should come off. be careful you don't lose the spring on the rod. and make sure that you retorque your clutch springs cause ur clutch will act screwy if u don't. mine was to 8.8 newton meters. $100 for a torque wrench and away u go. sounds like alot but i had it apart and back together in 20 mins.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

you should be able to tell if your plates are warped by the feel of the clutch. it would feel choppy or lumpy i'm told. but if u pull out your basket and your plates out of it, there will be blue marks on it signifying heat damage, warped. but i am not a certified mechanic. my cousin told me that and he's rebuilt 4 engines from scratch so i believe him. have fun and keep atleast one wheel on the ground!!

Old 05-07-2006, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joe sprocket

you should be able to tell if your plates are warped by the feel of the clutch. it would feel choppy or lumpy i'm told. but if u pull out your basket and your plates out of it, there will be blue marks on it signifying heat damage, warped. but i am not a certified mechanic. my cousin told me that and he's rebuilt 4 engines from scratch so i believe him. have fun and keep atleast one wheel on the ground!!
yep... I agree

Old 05-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

I was going to check mine because when you put her in first it wants to go, it is almost impossible to stall this bike. Down shifting is no problem. So I figured maybe the plats or springs were worn out.

I have the manual and it doesn’t look that hard but I will be loosing my clutch cherry on this one for sure

Old 05-07-2006, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds to me like the clutch just completey disengaging. you could likely just adjust your cable at the bar, or you might have to adjust it down on the cover. just my two cents, i'd try that b4 haulin her all apart

Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: joe sprocket

sounds to me like the clutch just completey disengaging. you could likely just adjust your cable at the bar, or you might have to adjust it down on the cover. just my two cents, i'd try that b4 haulin her all apart
no cable its hydraulic, 95 zx7.

Quick Reply: clutch again