chain lube to cure a squeaky front wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: chain lube to cure a squeaky front wheel?

Ya, I don't know if I would spray anything on your brake rotors....If it is a break squeak, the rotors or pads might be glazed... Some scocth brite might help there... Regardless, she is under warranty

I do not think very many people like stealerships. Regardless of truck, car, bike, or BigRig....I have not been to the dealer in a long time myself....You just do not get that extra attention to detail as you would find at an aftermarket shop...Maybe it is becasue the Dealer has the warranty work to keep the shop afloat, and they do not have to depend on paying customers?

Any way you go, GL man, let us know what it is....

Old 07-02-2006, 08:26 PM

My problem with dealerships is the lack of friendship. At every dealership I have been to in a long time I did not even meet the person who did the work, just some manager or secretary. On the other hand all the speed shops and locally owned shops I actually got to shake the hand of the man doing the work and was invited to enter the shop to discuss what I wanted. If more dealerships took this couse I think the view of them would change. You are a tech so only you can change what people think of the dealership you work for.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I can see both sides to this story, me being both customer and shop mech. At are shop it does help to meet the owner of the car and hear from them what they want, but at the same time they can be to demanding or ask for more then what they paid for. Sometimes they act as if we are going to steal there parts or rape them some how. This makes it hard for me as the mechanic to even want to work on their car. My boss ussually takes the work oders and gets the info from the owners, so I dont have to put up with it. At the same time as a customer I took my rx7 into the dealership and told them it had an exhaust leak and that it made it run poorly at idle. Three days later and 600. dollars shorter they replaced a vaccum line that was new allready and a return hose from the blow of valve that I had in the trunk of my car. I never asked them to touch these things, but they needed to, to put the car at where it should be... stock... Anyways I think the relationship between customer and dealerships or shop mechanics will allways be a hit and miss type relation. There are dealerships out there that will cut corners and customers that will try to get stuff for free... Nobody wins, the only thing you can do is cover your own ***.........

Old 07-03-2006, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I feel everyone should learn to work on their own bikes to some extent. You'll learn the mechanics of how things work and get to know you own bike better, so if you're stuck somewhere in an emergency, you can fix it. Also, when you have to take it to the dealer, both they and you will know what you're talking about and may keep from getting ripped off. The info you give them will better help narrow down the troubleshooting time and save you some money.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM

Its true. Some shops just dont care, and some customers want stuff for free. I understand that. I was just trying to give everyone a hard time, but also see where some of you stand on it. Alot of times customers come in with the "mechanics are the enemy" state of mind. That is not all true, yes some shops really want the money. To be honest I know alot of shops who have managers and mechanics in the service department who dont care about motorcycles and dont want to own one. I myself love them, and own a few. So maybe i try hard to help customers out because I used to be them and I know they just want to ride their toys. But there are a few that you just do not care to help because no matter how hard you try they always want to complain about something. And the whole spray chain lube on the rotors was complete sarcasm.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:37 AM

heylo i kinda got the same problem but i was wondering if you guys could help in a diffrent way i bought an old race bike (94 zx7) that i just got streetable it was sitting for along time so i gots new tires on it changed the fluids cleand the carbs and have rode it on a few short 30 min trips here and there im just noticing a squeak in the front wheel when im just crusing around at like 30 or under, i was thinking like youguys said a dry or in need of replacement wheel bearing. but i was told to get the front wheel off this thing you need a special tool witch i do not own anyone know any other ways of getting this thing off or where i can get the tool and how much it is email me back at Jon_Maples@sbcglobal.net.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

How does the rotors look and the pads?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:29 PM

pads are worn but roters are nice. no shimmy coming to a stop. but the pads are almost gone. althou it doesnt go away while on the brakes or anything its directly speed related and its getting worse now from stop all the way to 40 it will squeek on and off even when backing it out. the bike was stored for a long time so im thinking needs pads and bearings. the problem is i dont have the stupid tool to get the wheel off. i need to know a way to get the wheel off whithout the tool or a makeshift tool that i can use. any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 AM

I think it's the seals around the bearings!!!!!!!Dry graphite might work.My 14 does it as well!!!!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Check your axle for sure when ya tear into into it. Past experience, had a loose front axle that did the same. It was not torqued correctly.

Quick Reply: chain lube to cure a squeaky front wheel?