Cage or Railz?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Default Cage or Railz?

My bike is near completion after being wrecked and I was looking into crash protection. Since I'm cool, I think that I'm too cool for frame sliders (joke), so I'm opting for a stunt cage or race railz. Powers Stuntworx offers both:

Railz: http://www.powersstuntworks.com/railz.html
Cages: http://www.powersstuntworks.com/CrashBars.html

They don't have any pictures of an 05-06 636 with a cage on it, but they do make such a creature for that (my) model. I'll tell you my thoughts at first. I'll be going fast with my bike (duh), and my front wheel will be leaving the ground (I only want to master this because it's what caused my wreck), but that's about it. At high speeds I think a stunt cage would cause more of a commotion than race railz. Think about it, a cage offers more overall contact to the road than a race rail would, making it more likely to catch and send the bike-a-tumblin'. That's my thinking anyways, or am I wrong? A race rail protects, but with limited contact to the road (yeah, yeah, but a frame slider is even LESS! -- maybe there's a medium), making it more likely to just slide out rather than to start a vicious tumbler. So what do you think gentlemen -- ladies? Oh, and a sneek peek at the bike as she comes together. Not great pics, but my cell phone camera sucks.

Mods I have:
Puig DB Smoke Windscreen
Green Euro Flushmounts
Clear Integrated Taillight
Shogun Handlebar Sliders (white)
Shogun Swingarm Spools (white)

Mods to come:
Yoshimura Slip-on or Full, I haven't decided
Greggs Mirror Covers
CRG Mirrors
CRG Clutch & Brake Lever's (short)

Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cage or Railz?

There's a company near me in the Fort worth area that makes cages and were featured in the "Superbikes" show. I'll try to remember the name or you can do a search. The host, Jason Britten uses them on his bikes.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The crash cages look like they would take away your ground clearance when leaned over. The rails look nice and strong. You can get Frame sliders, swingarm spools, Barend sliders and fixed footpegs/ rearsets and may save the body work in the event of a crash.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

If you are stunting I think it is a must during the beginning or new trick period. Just for normal riding its a bit extrem and they are ugly JMO

Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah they are ugly, but if he's gonna get some, get the rails. If you're not stunting, get the sliders etc.