Bike stolen,painted, fixed...no first gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike stolen,painted, fixed...no first gear

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful day

Long story short: I storred my bike this winter at a buddy's house. His roomates have lots of parties. At some point in a two week period the bike gotten taken out and dumped at speed, then returned to the garage. The keys were in it so no insurance money from progressive for me . Never found out what really happened besides the obvious. The damage definitely indicated that it wasn't just kicked over.

When I bought the bike it had already been put down on the left. So I needed an excuse to paint it. My buddy's dad let me use his paint shop and I painted all fairings (not the tank). I'm hoping to do the rims and front fender next weekend so they'lll match because aparently PPG doesn't make the tint thats in the kawi green of the 99-02 (thats what the guy at BOND claimed). The color is close but not perfect. I'm going to post before and after pics as soon as my camara charges and I can upload pics, probably tonight. It doesn't look bad for my first paint job..

Anyway so everything seams kosher except a faint ticking that increases frequency with RPM's (not worried about that) but the transmission is acting really weird. The bike will not shift into first. Only 1 of 30 attempts gets it in, and thats really putting some force into it. The clutch is fine. The oil is new and full. The chain is lubed. The exterior 'control arms' that connect to the shift petal are greased up and smooth.

Just as I was getting off the offramp it wouldb't even go into second.

Like I said, bike was dropped hard on the right side. its a 2000 zx6r. I'll post pics when I get back from work.

Any input about my gear problem would be appriciated.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike stolen,painted, fixed...no first gear

maybe a bent shifter fork inside the tranny. sorry to hear about ur bike tho.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

what HD said is exactly what I was thinking. especially after the spill it took. once again, sorry about the stupid sh** that people do like that.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

That sucks man, I hope it s not too hard to get fixed. Gotta run out to the grage and get the key out my ignition now...

Old 04-17-2008, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Man what a bummer... A friend of a friend had his bike stolen, not returned and because his key was in it insureance turned there back too (I forget why we have insureance sometimes). Can't wait to see some pix.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

i think it came out okay. i actually like the way it looks without decals. even though the stock tiger stripes are classic, theres something fresh about simplicity.

notice the brake lever...its bent out about 90 degrees. it was so nice yesterday i didn't put the new ones on.

i'm leaving the tank because the match is good but the rims and front fender need to be painted. i'll take the gun to them as soon as i get some spare time. its 1 stage mtk paint but i might throw a coat of clear coat over the rims because they're so vulnerable to pitting and flaking.

i'm gunna investigate the bent fork lever theory today. i've never done tranny work....hopefully i dont have to take it to the shop. thanks for the info and let me know what you think about the new look. decals or no decals?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5266/150A053250454B899C10DC7EF0051DBD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5266/2C273807FB814158B0BDC51CAE8D83BD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5266/218A54EF6FAF4265B10636EBA8F0092F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5266/0F84B4CA9CE24419AFF30D1A64CDFAEB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

get a gasket before you break into the tranny cover!

Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

i think i kinda like it also without decals

Old 04-17-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay I just skipped my heat transfer and systems modeling class to go ride cause it's like 70 out and sunny. My girlfriend and I went for a long ride and it's shifing better. Not great. Twice in about 30 miles of mixed rural/city driving I couldn't get it in first. A couple times it didn't want to down shift. Its the worse when you enter a turn in too high of a gear and you can't shift so you just lug out of it.

It does feel better though. I called a local shop (not dealer) and the guy said over the phone if he had to open the tranny for anyreason he'd have the bike over a week. That to me sounds like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. So as long as I can still jam it into first most of the time I'm all set on a week at the shop.

I HOSED all the external elements in the shifting mechanisms with WD40. I had previously just used chain lube which just got the case messy. Maybe that helped...

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Adjust and lube your chain. A loose chain will cause some shifting problems.

Quick Reply: Bike stolen,painted, fixed...no first gear