bike running to rich

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Default bike running to rich

I just moved from florida to wyoming and now my bike is running way to rich. Aside from a power commander, what can i do to lean it out some?

I am running an 06 zx6 with a two bros slip-on, a k&n filter, and a -1 front sprocket right now.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Default RE: bike running to rich

when ever you change your exhaust you need to put a powercommander on an fuel injected bike in order to get the right results..its kinda sucks but its something we've all had to do

Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

in fl with the k & n and slip on on there you were running it lean as crap. power commander or some sort of mapping device to dial it in.

how bad is it running and what leads you to think its to rich ?

Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

What he said ^. Why do you think it's rich? Get some fuel injectorcleaner like "RXP". Maybe you got bad gas.Actually, you should have been running a littlelean or okay in FL and should be the same in WY. The bike has an IAT & Altitude sensor so it shouldn't have made a difference. It adjusts automatically. Check your air filter & intake.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:06 PM

I have already run fuel injector cleaner throuch it it helps for a little while. I think it is rich because there is a thick chunk of pitch black carbon on the end of my pipe and you can smell the gas in the fumes of the exaust. In florida it was a litlle lean but 6000 feet above where i was in florida the bike is just a little rich. Even the guy at kawasai said that would be the case.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 PM

also where is this altitude sensor that you speak of it is a new concept to me.

Never mind i found it in the repair manual. But i am still unclear on how it works and what it does.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

are you using that gas that is 85 gas/15 ethanol, that stuff when i lived in Iowa (Go Hawkeyes!!) turned my exhaust black at first (on my truck), later i found out that it was becuase the ethanol works like a cleaning agaent and cleans your tank and inside engine componets, not sure if it makes sense what i just typed but that was my experience.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:06 PM

I am sure it is that stuff but i have been running it for the past 4-5 months.

also i thought the ecu was preprogrammed and that the only way to change it was to get a power commander (or something similar).

Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The stock ECU cannot be programmed. Have you checked your air filter and intake. It sounds like it is running rich with the black soot in the exhaust & the smell. What color is the sticker and part number on your ECU? Maybe your IAT sensor is bad, malfunctioning or unplugged. It's located on top front of the airbox. What changed between FL & here?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

The only change between florida and here is about 5500 feet (+). That is worth checking into, so i called the local kawi dealer and the guys there told me that it would not change the ratio to make the bike run any better. I dont know if there is any truth to that so if you have any knowledge to the contrary please share, i am completly in the dark right now. the altitude sensor, as i said before, is a new thing to me (if it werent for that it would be easy for me to fix, just change jets). Thanks.

Quick Reply: bike running to rich