bike falls on face when off idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy bike falls on face when off idle

i have a 2001 zx6r. for some reason when i get on the throttle the power cuts in and out. when it happens it sounds like if im low on gas but the tank is full. it doesnt matter if it is hot or cold. it makes it really annoying to ride. Im pretty hand and like to get dirty i just need a place to start. anything will help.

p.s. when i let off the throttle the power comes back untill i try to go again. it happens even if i rev up slowly

Last edited by ajbjornsen; 02-02-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sounds like a vacum issue to me. check your hoses and make sure none are pinched

Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks i will pull the tank and check everything on to when i go home for the weekend.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

either flooding or going lean, probably a vac issue or fuel pump/clogged fuel filter

when my fuel pump died - gravity still flowed enough for it to idle and casually run around but no power and no high rpm.

make sure your pump is running.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

plus one on checking this carbed ride on its pump, filter, lines, float level and cleanliness.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree it's got to be in the fuel system. pump could be faulty, fuel filter could be cloged, could even be dirty carbs or there out of synic. could be a few things but i would check out the fuel side of the house.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a plugged jet, I don't know anything about that bike. I was on a ride 2 years ago with a guy on a Yamaha WR 250 and he could start the bike and it idled fine, but if he touched the gas it would cut out and die. He had to idle all the way back to the staging area. He reported later that his main jet was all plugged and when he took the carb apart the bowl was full of crap. Just a thought. But I suppose your bike is an FI bike so it may not apply here.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 AM

definitely in the fuel. yank a spark plug.if its white and crusty your starving for fuel.ride it for about 20 to 30 minutes then check them.thats where i would start

Old 02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Sounds like a plugged jet, I don't know anything about that bike. I was on a ride 2 years ago with a guy on a Yamaha WR 250 and he could start the bike and it idled fine, but if he touched the gas it would cut out and die. He had to idle all the way back to the staging area. He reported later that his main jet was all plugged and when he took the carb apart the bowl was full of crap. Just a thought. But I suppose your bike is an FI bike so it may not apply here.
that would be true if it was only one carb, but the 600 has 4 carbs, one acting up will only make it run rough and down on power.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

So i pulled the tank and checked the fuel lines and vac lines. when i got the the fuel filter it had a bunch of crap (bigger chunks) in it so i replaced that and put everything back together. I started it and it ran pretty good. then i rode it and after i rode some 3 miles to my house it started acting up again.

I think the stuff in the filter looked kinda like rust. When i painted my bike i had the tank off and empty for a few months, would it rust that fast?

Also if the filter had bigger chunks in it should i go through all the lines and make sire nothing got through. also check the bowls and jets in the carbs.

Its getting warmer here and so i need to get this figured out soon.

Quick Reply: bike falls on face when off idle