Assistance is needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 05:07 AM
Default Assistance is needed

Question for you guys and gals....
2005 kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Titanium)

I had the misfortune of hydroplaning the other night and slid into a curb. I'm not sure if this is just in my head or not, I think the bike is a little off. I feel like I have to lean the bike slightly right to stay straight, though that could all be in my head and here in CO the roads aren't that good with crowns in the vast majority of them. When on a flat road, I let go of the bars and the bike stays almost dead straight (easily my balance). The front wheel hit the curb (not going that fast, 45 MPH), so I don't know if it's rim damage, fork, or gasp... frame damage. I really don't think I damaged the frame as the bike slide on my Vortex flame sliders, thank god I installed them 1 week prior, and my foot pegs (aftermarket). Without getting ripped off at the local kawi dealership where or what can I do to determine if there is damage, or is it in my head and I'm just trying to find something wrong? The bike is surprisingly in good condition, I've ridden it for a few hours trying to see the extent of my accident. Then again, I don't remember if anything I'm "seeing/feeling" now were present before the accident. I guess I'm trying to find tricks of the trade that I could determine if there was damage to the forks or rim, or if the front tire is now out of alignment. The funny thing is driving down the road I "think" the bike wants to drift left, but in slow turns it goes right, I percieve, a hair more easily. This is what leads me to believe it's in my head and nothing, outside of some scratches, is wrong with the bike itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes I'm fine; I got a bruised shoulder out of it and that's all, heck my helmet never touched the ground.

- Jim

Old 08-16-2005, 06:14 AM
Default RE: Assistance is needed

Glad to hear you are alright for starters.

Second, in my opinion from personal experience on dirtbikes, if you think the front rim is bent/damaged, then you prolly would not get that drifting sensation, rather you would feel a shutter or shaking effecting from the rim being bent.

Another sugestion would be to check out your forks, they could have been tweeked from the hit into the curb, thats assuming your front end took the majority of the force. Its possible that the forks could have been tweeked just enough to angle the front end so that you do feel the bike is drifting.

Other than that, i dunno. good luck

Old 08-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Default RE: Assistance is needed

if you say the roads there are crowned, it would pull to the right, not to the left. i agree that if the rim was damaged it would shake, not pull. i dont know **** about forks, so i cant help ya out there... But see what im saying about the roads being crowned? im not a good explainer,