Asking for advice again... Of course.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Asking for advice again... Of course.

Well, here's my issue. The bike runs great until I open up the throttle all the way at high RPMs. It just kind of feels like it's chokin out or something. Bogs down. Doesn't die, just doesn't go any faster. I let off on the throttle a bit and it goes. I really am getting tired of having problems with this damn bike, to be honest with you all. This actually all started after I took it in and got the timing chain replaced. I took it back to the shop and they said they looked it over a bunch of times blah blah blah. Couldn't find any problems. So, I'm thinking they just don't know what the hell they're doing and I'm pissed that I can't find a shop that does. So here I am asking all of your opinions. I did the carbs. I may actually be feeling more adventurous if you guys have a pretty good idea of what is going on.. Of course I'm not going to bother with it until winter so I actually have something to ride, but I'd be willing to do a project over the winter. Anyways, help me out please. Thanks so much. Sorry that I'm asking for more than I've contributed.

Edit: If it helps, it happens at around 8k RPM. Just thought of that.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Asking for advice again... Of course.

A shop that doesn't know what they are doing? No way!! Sorry that was too easy. I would say if you already did the carbs, then I would check out the ignition, sounds like its losing a good spark at high rpm's. Coil? or ECM? I'm not familiar with this bike, but its old enough to be simple.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

It is a coil. Hmmmm.. You did mention the carbs.. I do wonder if I just wasn't thorough enough. I didn't actually unscrew the jets just sprayed down them with carb cleaner. Well.... I'll recheck the carbs again over the winter and actually pull the jets to inspect them. I acutally have a brand new coil for 2 of the cylinders. I'll replace that over the winter as well. Thanks for the advice. If you've got any other ideas, lemme know.

Edit: A thought. Could it be starving for air? Perhaps not getting enough air with the throttle all the way open?

Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM

I bet it is the carbs. Sounds like a jetting issue or float heightor possible air leak.

When you rev it in neutral are the RPM's slow to drop.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

No it drops just fine in neutral. Nothing out of the ordinary there. The float heights are within spec. Made sure to check that before I finished putting the carbs back together. All the air hoses are in place and no leaks that I could notice. What could the jet problem be? worn jets? clogged jets? Either way I'll take my carbs apart again over the winter to check it out.

Edit: I'm thinking about replacing my air filter with a K & N.. I wonder if that might help with anything. Probably not, but I may do it anyways. ehe

Old 07-07-2007, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Exhaust could be clogged.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Or the air filter is plugged

Old 07-07-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you put a jetkit in recently? If so, which jets did you replace?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope. Not done a jet kit. The first thing I'll do is replace the air filter. Where's a good place to order a K & N? Or should I order from my local shop?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i was going to say start with the air filter. i had the same thing happen and turned out to be that.

i have learned out of many many sleepless nights, if the problem isnt obvious then it is the simplest cheapest thing you can find, never fails!!!

Quick Reply: Asking for advice again... Of course.