anyone use carb cleaner to clean FI bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default anyone use carb cleaner to clean FI bikes?

I'm pondering using some carb cleaner and spraying it into the intake on my 03 636. I remember the guy at the stealership who sold me my bike (who seems like a good guy) mentioned that he did that to his 03 back in the day and it seemed to help with the ticking and he got some more power back. I've done it in various cars (several DSM's and my Jeep) Just wondering if anyone has done it with a FI bike and what were the results.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: anyone use carb cleaner to clean FI bikes?

no i havent. do they make a FI spray??

Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 PM

I can tell you that spraying carb cleaner into the intake will not solve a ticking noise. The bike will start a little funny if you spray to much. It will stumble for 1 or 2 seconds and then it should idle ok. It will just clean you intake port/runners. Remember that these bikes are a little noisy from the valve train due to thin walls from the engine. This is a normal condition. What else is happening to your bike that wouldmake you to do this ? You usually use carb cleaner to clean the housing area around the throttle blade when it has carbon build up and it binds when the throttle blade is opened all the way or if an engine is having a difficult time idling because there isnt enough air going in to the engine for it to idle due to carbon build up between throttle housing and throttle blade. There is a small opening of the blade when at idle and usually if you have for example the throttlebodies in your hand and point them into the sky you should be able to see light comming through the blade and housing. If its dirty you wont be able to see light. Try to give us some more info on whats going on with your bike. Take care.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

oh there's nothing wrong with my bike... I was just thinking about the conversation I had with the guy at the stealership that happened 2 years ago on my 45 min commute to work at 3:45am. I just like the feeling of sleeping soundly at night knowing that I have a cleaner more carbon-free engine [sm=wootwoot.gif]

Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Use throttle body cleaner. It's easier on the electrical parts in the TB. You can add RXP to your gas and decarbonize your engine. That stuff works great. Might run a lot better too.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

carb cleaner and fuel injector cleaner is essentially the same. just run some fuel injection cleaner int he gas tank and it will keep everything clean inside.

ticking can be a lot of things including noisy fuel injectors, ping, and much worse

you can also run some seafoam through the engine - that will clean out the injectors, the cylinders, etc