Akrapovic s/o on 2006 zx6r

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Akrapovic s/o on 2006 zx6r

Hey guys, I just bought a brand new 2006 zx6r special edition from the dealer that was left over from last year. $8000 out the door. Since the dealer has extended a 10% discount on all products that I buy from them for 1 year, I decided to go for an exhaust and some euro turn signals. The exhaust that I decided on is the akrapovic slip on. The dealer tells me that I need the power commander III to remap the bike once the slip on is installed. Do I really need to power commander at this point or is something I would need if I did full exhaust?

Also, I am concerned about having the bike dynoed during the remapping since my bike is still in the break in period. That is, keep the bike under 4000 rpm til 500 mi and under 6500 rpm til 1000 mi. Is this really important and will the quick dyno test really hurt it? I know its alot of questions but we're talking about $300 for the PCIII and then labor to install and dyno. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Akrapovic s/o on 2006 zx6r

you will need a PCIII if you put in a K&N filter or BMC. i think a slip on you will be fine without it...do a little search and you will see some threads on it.
if you want to save some money then install it yourself. 10% of a PCIII isnt much. In fact i am pretty sure you will find it cheaper online than that dealer...even with the 10%.
unless you are racing or are at some wierd altitude i would save on the dyno since there is a map already for your new pipe and a K&N i think..as a matter of fact...i am using that exact map for my Yosh and K&N.

I would spend a little more time on here reading about what you are thinking about doing...ask some questions...then make your mods. enjoy the ride man!
you have plenty of time to mod. i dunno about asking the breakin question though..everyone says something different. just make sure to change your oil after some spirited riding. unless you are planning on having this bike for the rest of your life i wouldnt worry to much about the breakin. If Kawi comes out with the zx7 again i am sure we all might be thinking about a trade up.LOL...just kidding!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Change the oil asapand wait till the recommended break-in period before running it on the Dyno. Read here for break-in info: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm .A power commander will help if you get a slip-on or a fullexhaust. www.Cyclemartusa.com has them for $259 & free shipping. Check around for prces on the exhaust also.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

^+1shop arond for your stuff even with the 10% you can find it cheaper online. Download the basic map from the website and then do a dyno map after your breakin period. I would go with a K&N or BMC air filter. Did you already buy the exhaust?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I already bought the exhaust and PCIII. The power commander ended up costing $300 and the exhaust $500. I saw a couple websites where the exhaust cost over $500 so I think I am good there but the $300 might be a litle much for the PC I'm thinkin.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I have that exhaust on my bike it sounds raeal good. I'm not running a powercommander with my bike and it runs great. the guy at the dealer was just trying to get you to spend more money on the bike. I have a sound clip of the exhaust on here if our intested in hearing what it sounds like.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

hardracing.com has the exhaust for $445 and the PCIII for $224. Would have saved you another $131.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

he didnt "need " the pc but hey at least its gonna be faster and more responsive and he only paid 8k out the door for the bike which is COOL. if i was you though install the pc yourself , people on here will be happy to help. enjoy your bike , the 06 636 is a badass **** bike

Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Bluebeast, do you mind sending me a sound clip of the exhaust? You can PM me or email me. Pontiac1983@aol.com. Thanks. As for the cost of everything, I'm kinda kickin myself that I didn't look online. I figured that the 10% would be enough to outweigh shipping and online prices. Oh well, I think I may be able to return the exhaust but there are no refunds on electrical parts.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:01 AM

Try the slip-on without the PCIII, Akrapovic usally works good just by bolting it on. If not, get the PCIII

I have a 05 636, with the K&N filter and a Akrapovic Full Evo system, I first tried it without the PCIII, at 9000rpm's it fell on its face, like someone backed off the throttle, even though I had it pinned, I installed the PCIII and downloaded the proper map. Wow!! did that ever wake that bike up, I hit second gear hard and it wants to flip the bike. It never did that before.

The stock exhaust chokes the bike some much, and its heavy, Stock Full Exhaust 25lbs, the Akrapovic Evo Full system 10 lbs .

my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Akrapovic s/o on 2006 zx6r