acessory "hot" lead for grip heaters??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default acessory "hot" lead for grip heaters??

i just ordered grip heaters and was wondering if there is an extra un-used hot lead behind the headlights or something??

my buddy rides a SV-650 and found there was an extra there just for such projects.

thanks!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: acessory "hot" lead for grip heaters??

couldent find a decent wiring diagram online but i work in a dealership so on mon i will check out our books and let you know

Old 02-04-2008, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

There maybe one coming off your fusebox. The grip heaters will draw a fair amount of current so It will have to be athicker gaugewire. How may amps do the grips use?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sup_uni

couldent find a decent wiring diagram online but i work in a dealership so on mon i will check out our books and let you know
that would be rad! thanks! i did the jumper mod this afternoon, and rode for the first time since i've gotten my clip-ons raised! for some reason i felt like i was riding a zx-12r. sans the power. such a small change felt so good. have you figured if those honda clip-ons work??

Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

There maybe one coming off your fusebox. The grip heaters will draw a fair amount of current so It will have to be athicker gaugewire. How may amps do the grips use?
they don't list them as amps. but do list them as 36 watts. again... donno

Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

hey guys-
so i got my grip heaters today. the instructions say to get power by tapping into a headlight wire. this sounds like a bad idea to me, cause it could over load the wire and also dim my headlight.

so i'm thinking about running a wire back to the battery area with an inline fuse just to be safe. the question i've got is how/where do i wire it so if i accidentally leave the heaters on, then shut off the bike, it doesn't keep draining the battery? i know kinda an elementary question, but i'm no mechanic.

the last thing i wanna do is come back to a dead bike on a solo ride in the mountains.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Since the heated grips are 36 watts on a 12v system, that means they run at about 3 amps. Watts = VA (Volts*Amps). Your headlights are 55W (High & Low) so they have plenty of power running to them and the wiring is more than enough for the grips. I would tap it into the high beam hot wire which is Red. This way the heated grips are only on when the high beams are, or you could wire a small handlebar mounted switch into them as well and run it straight to the battery. Either way put a inline fuse on it and put a 3 amp fuse in it. The Blue wire is for low beam in case you want to use that instead, it is also 55w.

Run the ground to the frame or another ground and not the headlight ground wire.

If you want the wiring diagram, download the manual and look at page 472.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

Since the heated grips are 36 watts on a 12v system, that means they run at about 3 amps. Watts = VA (Volts*Amps). Your headlights are 55W (High & Low) so they have plenty of power running to them and the wiring is more than enough for the grips. I would tap it into the high beam hot wire which is Red. This way the heated grips are only on when the high beams are, or you could wire a small handlebar mounted switch into them as well and run it straight to the battery. Either way put a inline fuse on it and put a 3 amp fuse in it. The Blue wire is for low beam in case you want to use that instead, it is also 55w.

Run the ground to the frame or another ground and not the headlight ground wire.

If you want the wiring diagram, download the manual and look at page 472.
thanks! forgot to say that the heaters come with a switch, so i'll prob run it to the low beam (this way the heat can be on when its night and i don't want my high beam on).

so- 7.6 amps will not over load the headlight wire?? (36w from heaters and 55w from light)

Old 02-09-2008, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 636whoop
so- 7.6 amps will not over load the headlight wire?? (36w from heaters and 55w from light)
Amps refer to current, you cannot just add them up like that. The max power run through the wires is 55w @ 12v = 4.6amps +/-

Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

ORIGINAL: 636whoop
Amps refer to current, you cannot just add them up like that. The max power run through the wires is 55w @ 12v = 4.6amps +/-
so are you saying its a bad idea to wire them along with a high beam or a low beam?

55w is what the light draws. i think it boils down to the awg of the wires. the diagram pg 472? shows the blue coming out of the headlight and joining a blue w yellow stripe at a plug. looking at the bike... the wire looks like a 16 awg coming into the plug (blue) and like a 18 awg coming out of the plug (blue w yellow stripe) but the insulation type is different, so maybe that is tricking me. the thing i don't know is how many watts/amps a 16 awg wire will hold at twelve volts?

if i run a wire back to my battery, i'm stuck with the problem of accidentally leaving the switch on while the bike is not running.

not trying to come off as an a**. i have a decent electrical knoledge of ac, but i'm way less familiar with dc. just trying to figure this out

Quick Reply: acessory "hot" lead for grip heaters??