9R versus newer 6R's

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Default 9R versus newer 6R's

95 9R versus 06 6R

Ok. I bought a 9R some time ago. i use it as a commuter bike. pretty sweet ride. kinda heavy, sorta difficult to corner at high speeds. Im lookin at the newer bikes out there. super light, fuel injected. agressive styling. mmmm. around here at the local dealersyou cant test ride the new bikes,. pfff. so i kinda have to go by opinion. would a newer 6R kick a 95 9R 's *** as far as pickup, cornering. and ease of handling? i see they discontinued the 9R's and the 10R's are out. but im not sure if i need that much power.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 9R versus newer 6R's

first off it is mostly rider skill but with that said if you had 2 evenly skilled riders the 6 will enter and get through a corner better than the 9 but the 9 will smoke the 6 off the corner and down the straights.

I personally have always had a liter bike for the street, I like the additional power that you do not have with a 600. If I were buying a new track bike, I would be looking at the 600 class for the weight savings better cornering.

It is personal preference but imo if you want to be on top on the street get the bigger bike, not many can keep up.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

i dont think there is anyway i would trade my 6r for something bigger, with the 6 it is so easy to zip in and out of the corners and my 636 even kept up with a 996 ducati so i think they are doing pretty good

Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kaisersorzay

95 9R versus 06 6R

Ok. I bought a 9R some time ago. i use it as a commuter bike. pretty sweet ride. kinda heavy, sorta difficult to corner at high speeds. Im lookin at the newer bikes out there. super light, fuel injected. agressive styling. mmmm. around here at the local dealersyou cant test ride the new bikes,. pfff. so i kinda have to go by opinion. would a newer 6R kick a 95 9R 's *** as far as pickup, cornering. and ease of handling? i see they discontinued the 9R's and the 10R's are out. but im not sure if i need that much power.
Yes, the newer (piped & PCIII'd) ZX6R's will kick the 9's *** in the corners, handlingand and maybe even topend. The ZX9R will have more midrange but the extra weight really does it a disadventage. The 636 has more midrange that the 600's but the New 07 600 has INCREDIBLE handling and is faster on the Top End. But it all comes down to the rider skill & abilty. I came up on an R1 on the freeway just 20 minutes agoand he wanted to run (and would have smoke me if he had the *****) but we came up on the offramp (a 180 degree loop) and I went around him & waved. He tiptoed through that turn. Probably a new rider or afraid to take turns. Ofcourse my bike handles great (Race-Tech front end)and can take a bumpy road fast while leaned over.

Suspension Set-Up and Skill & Ability.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the 6 or 636 fun factor out weighs the bigger bikes. My friends ben riding his R-1 for the last 3 years even on track days. Now he bought a 600 track bike and is having way more fun flicking it around the twisties. Still banging 157mph on the straights

+1 on the SSS&A ...speed.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The latest edition of Sport Rider did a comparison of the old and new bikes; 07 VS 01 GSXR1000 & 07 VS 03 R6. The older bikes were upgraded with suspension, engine, intake& exhaust mods and the new stock bikes still kicked their ***. New technology is really moving forward fast. Just when you think they can't get any better or faster, they do just that. The new ZX6R is supposed to be really fast up top and my friend say's that it handles like it's on rails. Can't make up for New Technology! Of course that is in racing use but for the streets, the older bikes bere more user friendly with more low and mid-range power, so they would be more practical.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

I'm still waiting to see the top end of an 07 zx-6. I guess next time Hoedogg and my self go out for a ride I can see for my self [sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

me personally u can't go wrong with a new school bike no matter what it is, all the manufacters out there are building fast *** bikes, it's really what u can afford and what feels comfortable to u that matters 4 real, but with the right amount of money and time u can make a ol school bike smoke a new school, but by the time u do that u couldv'e bought u a newer bike and the parts for the ol scholl bikes are hard to find trust me i no

Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 768 Ryda

me personally u can't go wrong with a new school bike no matter what it is, all the manufacters out there are building fast *** bikes, it's really what u can afford and what feels comfortable to u that matters 4 real, but with the right amount of money and time u can make a ol school bike smoke a new school, but by the time u do that u couldv'e bought u a newer bike and the parts for the ol scholl bikes are hard to find trust me i no
I spent a $#!+ load of money on my old 85 ZX600 in 87-88to compete when I was racing. I had $5K plus in the bikes motor, suspension and wheels. When the first FZR600 came out, my bike was keeping up with them and they were stock. They were lighter and handles better, had wider wheels. Just with a pipe & jetkit they were pulling my bike on the straights. Just as the SportRider article proved, Newer is Better & Faster. You would have to put in a LOT of money to make an older bike competitive against the new ones On The Track. You would have to get:New suspension, engine work and now, Better Aerodynamics. Kind of like my 03 against the 05-06 or even the 07's. I upgraded a lot of stuff on my 03 but the stock 05-06's were faster and better handling; even more comfortable at the same time.Might as well buy a newer one. If I was racing, I would buy a Brand New model to race with; whichever model is winning. This year it is between the ZX6R & the CBR600RR.

The older modified bikes were better for the street due to more low andmidrange power. The newer bikes were too track oriented.

Here's the article they did in 03 with the New &OldR1 & ZX6R:
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_..._street_bikes/

Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

As mentioned, if you enjoy track, get the newer 6rr. I went with the 10r and re-did the suspension. Not as good as the 6rr in corners, but hella'va fun ride. The 9's setup/weight factors in but is a heck of a ride on the streets.

Quick Reply: 9R versus newer 6R's