520 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 520 conversion

Just wandering if anyone here has put a 520 conversion on there bike? I'm lookin to get the 520 conversion with the gold chian for my '05 636. I'll proby go up some teeth in the back, but I was just wandering how many. A little help please. Thanks

Old 11-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Default RE: 520 conversion

the '05 comes with a 520 on it stock. I did a -1/+2 combo and it really woke the bike up! By far the best bang for your buck as far as performance mods.

Also, There is a very good chance that you won't be able to fit a larger sprocket on back if you use a stock length chain. That is the problem I ran into, and had to drop a tooth on the front to fit a +2 in the rear. I am def. glad that I did that, plus it dropped more weight from the driveline. Which less weight (rotational inertia in the driveline) as we all know means quicker accel.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:48 AM

Ok guys, this is the second time I see you all talking about -1/+2 what exactly is that. what does it do to your bike, if it's for performance I am all up for it. excuse my ignorance but I am just getting into the bike thing. My thing has been cars for years. Thanks I appreciate all your info....peace

Old 11-18-2005, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

-1/+2 is going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and going up 2 teeth on the back sprocket. This does mean performance. Better take off, brings the bike to life on the bottom end.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

You lose a litle top end but gain on the low and middle, where you ride 99% of the time. I reccomend this mod as being best bang for your buck for sure. You will not even no your on your bike [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 11-18-2005, 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Ranger D636

Ok guys, this is the second time I see you all talking about -1/+2 what exactly is that. what does it do to your bike, if it's for performance I am all up for it. excuse my ignorance but I am just getting into the bike thing. My thing has been cars for years. Thanks I appreciate all your info....peace

In car terms it's the equivalent of replacing your differential form say a 3.23 to a 4.11, it'll wake your beast up...

Old 11-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ryninger

ORIGINAL: Ranger D636

In car terms it's the equivalent of replacing your differential form say a 3.23 to a 4.11, it'll wake your beast up...
Replacing your stock front and rear sprockets. Smaller front more power, larger rear more power. Smaller rear more speed MPH.
Most popular -1 in the front and +2 in the rear or try one or the other. Going up 2 in the rear is like going down 1 in the front. Best bang for your buck, just hold on and the front gets very light

Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

i have an old school bike (98 zx6r) and my mechanic told me that my bike has a 15 tooth front sprocket already and not to go any lower than that because it greatly shortens the life of the chain. so he recommended that i go with a new 15 tooth sprocket, go up 4 teeth on the back and go to a wider chain. i am pretty sure he said the .520". for a couple hundred bucks installed he said it will be SAAWWWEEEETT! i can't wait. gonna put a new clutch in her with race springs and get the valve clearances done too. hopefully it all works out

Old 11-18-2005, 06:01 PM

Dropping a tooth on the front isn't that hard on it as long as you keep it lubed, being your bike is a 98 the chain is prolly stretched about as far as it will anyway. Adding in the rear an dropping in the front both increase accel. There is a difference in there though (not going to get into the physics of it), When you drop in the front it makes for faster accel by letting the engine rev faster, adding teeth to the rear also increases accel but also wants to greatly bringing the bike up more so. The engine is still wanting to turn the same rpms but the tire is moving slower, in lamens terms more wheelies which if you are wheelieing all the time then you are losing the accel you just wanted to gain...

This is why you see stunters with crazy *** combos like a -2 +15....for street apps most will agree that a -1/+2 is an agressive change and very very ridable once you get used to your new bike. The front tire becomes your slave, you can keep it on the ground under hard accel or if you wish you can count the stars when playing around....

Just my two cents, take it to the bank or toss it in the trash...

Old 11-19-2005, 04:28 PM

joe sprocket, u sure you want to put a race clutch in something you want to drive everyday? i am not real sure about bikes, but i know you dont want to put a race clutch in a car that drives everyday... are bike racing clutches the same way??

Quick Reply: 520 conversion