05 ZX6R Engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Try putting some "RXP" Fuel treatment in the gas tank. You can get it at AutoZone or any car parts place. That stuff is amazing and has cured a lot of driveability issues related to bad gas or water in the gas; even dirty/ clogged injectors. It will decarbonize the combustion chamber too. It's only $7 in a small bright Day-Glo orange bottle. Best stuffout there!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Well it left me stranded again... I was up all night last night working on it and I found some bad electrical connections and repaired them. I thought I had it all worked out and then today after riding about 60 miles it starts cutting out once again. I puled over and messed with it for about 45 minutes and finally just let it sit. Had someone come to pick me up and just decided to try to ride it back to the house. It cooled back down to about 168 degrees and ran like a champ on the way home. While I had it torn apart I found that the person before me had installed a switched fan to cool it in the summer in traffic. He ran a power wire straight from the battery to the switch and directly to the fan. I am wondering if there is some sort of safety switch with the stock plug that recognizes that it is not using the factory switch and maybe killing the bike. Just a thought because of the temperature issue. I have a feeling that it is not bad gas because I have filled it up twice with premium and ran octane booster the last tank. Any suggestions will help me out. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

wow, back to basics again. Does the fan operate?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

How hot is it getting? Cause I think I remember reading something about a fail safe at about 220-230.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys sorry for not getting back quicker but I went and got some gas treatment like Speedracer recommended and I haven't had a problem since. I tore it apart and checked all the sensors and plugged the fan back in to the stock connector. It doesn't get that hot but I do believe it was water in the gas problem. I am still not sure if the problem is solved because I havent gone on a long trip or anything.... just normal riding around the city. I appreciate everyones suggestions and I will keep you posted. I hope there are more people here from GA that I can ride with. One more thing how do I become a member of the PWI???

Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

LOL PWI is a long way away for you my freind glad to hear your bike is running better.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm telling ya, that RXP fixes most of poor running problems! That stuff is amazing!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Default same problem :(

i just bought a 05 zx6r with a power commander full muzzy exhaust and a k&n filter. it just left me stranded same exact thig spits sputters back fires died turn it off then on goes for a while .... finally gave up got towed home... same distance about 60 miles temp was betwee 160 and 170 the whole time. when i got home i pulled it off the trailer it fired right up took it for a spin held 70 no problem launched 0 to un speakable speed no problem what could this be!! help please......

Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Wrap it up!!

Sooo... I haven't been on this site for awhile but I got an email and saw the thread. I gotta say I ended up selling my Kawi but still got love for my peeps on here. Anyways, back to the matter at hand... I sold my bike to a friend who I told about the problem it had and he bought it regardless. He ended up trying just about everything to fix the cutting out issue and spent alot of cashola. Come to find out that on those bikes they have been know to have problems with overheating under the tail fairing due to the exhaust runnung right under it... plus, that happens to be where there are some electrical components and if I am not mistaken, the computer. I guess there was an electrical component that was overheating after riding for a substantial amount of time causing the bike to cut out and leave a motha F*%#^! stranded!! Try to wrap the exhaust that is under the tail section with some type of heat wrap to keep it cool under there and this should fix your problem. Make sure you wrap it good and don't be cheap about it. Thanks for everyones help and hopefully this helps someone out.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sakibomb80
Sooo... I haven't been on this site for awhile but I got an email and saw the thread. I gotta say I ended up selling my Kawi but still got love for my peeps on here. Anyways, back to the matter at hand... I sold my bike to a friend who I told about the problem it had and he bought it regardless. He ended up trying just about everything to fix the cutting out issue and spent alot of cashola. Come to find out that on those bikes they have been know to have problems with overheating under the tail fairing due to the exhaust runnung right under it... plus, that happens to be where there are some electrical components and if I am not mistaken, the computer. I guess there was an electrical component that was overheating after riding for a substantial amount of time causing the bike to cut out and leave a motha F*%#^! stranded!! Try to wrap the exhaust that is under the tail section with some type of heat wrap to keep it cool under there and this should fix your problem. Make sure you wrap it good and don't be cheap about it. Thanks for everyones help and hopefully this helps someone out.
Thanks for the update. Yes the ecu tends to get cooked with the undertail exhaust. Most people tend to just move it to the side. Thanks for the update and good to see you back.

Quick Reply: 05 ZX6R Engine cutting out