05 636 Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 05 636 Power Loss

How's it going fellas..I got a question reguarding my bike. It feels like i'm losing power on my bike. I Haven't done the valve adjustment and my bike is close to 19k miles..Could this be a big factor?

Also it kind of feels like my clutch might be dying. I have a barnett clutch installed, and when I Slowly release the clutch it feels like it doesn't pull as hard. Anyone have ideas or input? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

when is the last time the bike been serviced ? and the clutch cable just might need to be adjusted

Old 09-29-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

If it just happened recently then its probably not a valve adjustment problem, however if you noticed it happening over time then it may be time to getyour maintenance done. Got anymore details? what exactly is it doing, where is it losing power, when did it happen, etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kazerotor
How's it going fellas..I got a question reguarding my bike. It feels like i'm losing power on my bike. I Haven't done the valve adjustment and my bike is close to 19k miles..Could this be a big factor?

Also it kind of feels like my clutch might be dying. I have a barnett clutch installed, and when I Slowly release the clutch it feels like it doesn't pull as hard. Anyone have ideas or input? Thanks!

hmm, 19k miles, an aftermarket clutch and not sure on maintenance? Valves in my hands are done before or soon after break in. An aftermarket clutch tells us that this is a hard ridden bike. So yes, the valves are way over due for a check along with compression and leak down checks. What about the air filter cleaning or replacement? You do have a manual for your ride and safety correct?? Not trying to be harsh, just the basics

Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the all the input fellas. But the reason I replaced the clutch is I was being dumb and trying to burn out my old tire! So I ended up burning up my clutch haha..

Maintenance was done at at 16k I only use mobil 1 motorcycle oil. I had just replaced the spark plugs(NGK). And I have 2 K&N air filters, One to clean and store so I can just drop in When it's time to clean it. Flushed system with fresh redline coolant and Also i've adjusted my chain and lubed it.

I did notice though that the power loss is in the lower rpms. If I open the throttle all the way at 5k It takes about 8-9k to start pulling hard.
I'm kind of leaning towards the clutch for now because it seems like i have to feather the clutch a little more to take off.

I usually don't ride hard, i've been using this bike to commute to work which is only 8 miles away from home.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

It is time to do maintenance again, so I guess I should really do the valves. It's so expensive to take in though. It would also take too much time for me to mess with the shims and buckets [-_-]

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I usually don't ride hard, i've been using this bike to commute to work which is only 8 miles away from home.
yeah, that is not very far at all. The gas would get bad before you use it all...lol

Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah no kiddin huh? i do also use some of that mxp occasionally.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the all the input fellas. But the reason I replaced the clutch is I was being dumb and trying to burn out my old tire! So I ended up burning up my clutch haha..
Sorry Bro, But thats Funny

Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I did notice though that the power loss is in the lower rpms. If I open the throttle all the way at 5k It takes about 8-9k to start pulling hard.
I'm kind of leaning towards the clutch for now because it seems like i have to feather the clutch a little more to take off.
There is only one way to lose power through the clutch and that is by slipping. If your clutch is slipping on acceleration then you would know it. Sounds like its just hesitating a bit, I'd start with a good tuneup plugs wires fluids etc. Its amazing what just a oil change can do for performance. Let us know if your still having problems.

Out of curiosity, I have an older bike and I know it has shims, but I thought the newer bikes didnt use them. Drag?

Quick Reply: 05 636 Power Loss