zx14 pushed itself over

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Default zx14 pushed itself over

Hi everyone, just thought I would see if anyone else has had the missfortune of their zx14 pushing itself off its side stand...about 8 weeks ago I purchased a brand new zx14 and one lovely afternoon I took my wife for a ride,and when we stopped, I put the bike on its side stand and in 1st gear, as recommended by kawasaki and locked the ignition. about 10 to 15 seconds later whilst taking my jacket off, I heard the bike make a puff noise like it had just gone over a compression stroke or something, and was horrified to see my new bike moving forward and pushing itself off the side stand......I have spoken to a kawasaki mechanic who tells me this is a very rare thing to happen, but it appears that the heat inside the cylinder caused compressed fuel to ignite.....I am trying to seeif anyone else has had this same thing happen to them, as I believe Kawasaki should pay for the repairs to my new bike....because I parked it exactly how they told me to and it caused damage......Also what are your views on the side stand itself...do you all think it is addequite?

many thanks please reply Dave

Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: zx14 pushed itself over

That's some bad luck right there, but doesn't your owners manual tell you to put it in neutral before shutting it off?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 AM

Hi Mark

No my owners manual says to park the bike in gear, to prevent it from moving, thats why I believe they should fix it..

Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

If that's the case then yes, I think Kawasaki should be responsible for repairing your bike. Good luck convincing the dealer, or Kawasaki of that though.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:13 PM

That sucks Davidhigh. I think I'd have a cow. I made the mistake of parking a zx10in neutral on a downhill slope once. It would have cost me about 300.00to fix the fairing. I've been careful to park my 14 so that it's facing uphill and in 1st gear whenever possible. I hope that your bike wasn't damaged too badly. Check ebay for replacement fairing.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Dang, I would have a cow! Sorry to hear Dave. This is the first that I have heard about the "igniting" issue as well.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 PM

I'm sorry hear that happen to a fellow Ninja, but to I have not had that experience. However, I did a couple of close calls when I parked my bike and I thought that my kickstand was fully extended until I leaned the bike to the left and it kept going until I caught it. It definately made me be fully aware of having that kickstand in position before letting go of the bike when it got off.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 AM

DavidHigh... man I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I never heard of this happening, but thanks for the heads up. I hope it doesn't cost you too much.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:26 AM

The same thing happened to me the fist day I got it.
It was on a 5% slope when I started it and it felt over on the side of my wife's car. The mirror bracket broke off with a piece of the fairing and also dented the fender on the car. $800.00 in total damage. New miror bracket, new upper fairing and repair on the car.
Always make sure to have the bike on a flat surface or upslope and for the kick stand must be pushed all the way.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:54 AM

I would avoid parkin any bike downhill!

Quick Reply: zx14 pushed itself over