10r shaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 10r shaking?

I have a '04 Zx10r and when I de-celerate it seems as if my front tire starts to shake. I know its not my brakes because I've tested it and I can slow down without using my brakes and it still happens. Its only when I slow down and I've checked my tire pressure and wear and tearand for any obvioulsy loose bolts or parts and everything seems to be fine. It only starts pulsating when I hit about 55mph whenI start to slow. I cant figure it out. Any advice. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 10r shaking?

The steering geometry is pretty tight for the 04 and 05's. Suspension has to be set up for the tire used and with you in your riding gear. Deceleration will induce an issue if the suspension is not able to deal with it. Of course you can do like most folks do on the 04, put a bandaide on it ie steering damper.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:30 PM

Check your front tire for cupping. Run your hand up and down the tire tread, if it is smooth moving down the front of the tire and catches on the way back up then the tire is cupped. This will also cause some shaking in the front end. Another thing to look for is the position of the wheel weight. You want your weight in the center of the wheel. If you have a side mount clip weight you need to put one on each side of the wheel. It doesn't seem possible, but if you have a wheel weight on one side of the front wheel and not in the center it will cause the front to shake. You notice that shake when you take your hands off the handlebars when riding.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Check the head nut under the triple tree. Dam things come loose and cause all kinds of shaking.

A good test for this is; stradle your bike with the engine off and try to lift the front with the clipons. Is it solid feeling or is there a little slip? If you feel it slip a bit then your head nut needs tightening.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the help. Ill try all of those things and let you guys know. Thanks a lot!

Old 06-16-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Tire is nice and smooth both ways, head nut is all nice and tight and the tire weight seems to be right in the center....I've been riding this bike for about a year and it just started doing it with in the last few weeks. I had a new tires put on but that was about 1500 miles ago. So damn I dont know what the deal is. Thanks for the input though.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:26 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

So how are your current suspension settings compared to when the ride did not do this? Suspension breaks in, ie springs get more relaxed, seals and components break in.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: vuskavich

Tire is nice and smooth both ways, head nut is all nice and tight and the tire weight seems to be right in the center....I've been riding this bike for about a year and it just started doing it with in the last few weeks. I had a new tires put on but that was about 1500 miles ago. So damn I dont know what the deal is. Thanks for the input though.
Not to beat a dead horse but you did not confuse the nut on top of your tripple tree as the head nut, right?
Another thing is to check the allignment of the rearwheel. lazytire changers sometimes like to eyeball or use the hash marks on the swing arm and do not always get them alligned perfectly.
You can use a string or spend 25 bones on this simple tool. http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1037...ment-tool.html

Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

You can use a string or spend 25 bones on this simple tool. http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1037...ment-tool.html
vuskavich

Now how accurate is this tool compared to a computer alignment? I might be interested in this thing if it works well, never seen it before, Dragone what do you think about it? And vuskavich, do you do any wheelies? Make sure your wheel weights are still there, maybe have the front wheel balanced just to be sure its straight.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I always use the hash marks, with no probs.

Quick Reply: 10r shaking?