Not a typical VS. post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan_petersen86
at the most it takes me 2-min in really cold weather to get my bike warmed up.
Bollocks.

Six or seven miles in ordinary temperatures - (50 - 70 f ) before any bike is fully warmed up. 2 minutes gets it warm enough to ride, but not to ride hard.

A rider really learning how to ride won't outgrow a 250 in less than about 10 - 15,000 miles, and not even then unless there's a lot of 2-up or highway riding. The rider who claims to have outgrown a 650 on the road is delusional and lacks real skill.

Rob

Old 08-11-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

can someone please get me a copy of the literature that rob is reading, i'd like to know when i get my "real skill", or even become a "real biker" for that matter. and riding hard is for the track not the public streets its dangerous, and you could wreck or worse...

Last edited by dan_petersen86; 08-11-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

can someone please get me a copy of the literature that rob is reading, i'd like to know when i get my "real skill", or even become a "real biker" for that matter. and riding hard is for the track not the public streets its dangerous, and you could wreck or worse...

Real skill is knowing your limits of not only yourself, but the bike also. Real skill also can be defined as being able to use the skills that you claim to have, having the good judgment to keep yourself from doing something stupid. The 650r is a very capable street bike and can get you hurt just as fast, because it has been defined as a entry level bike by Kawasaki themselves. Williamr is just trying to state that on the other forms that we belong to have alot of people that buy them and wreck them in a short amount of time, because of the lack of skill they have. On the other two forums that we are on this subject has been discussed time and time again and beat to death.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

although i dont fully agree with the way people are being told they have to buy 250 to learn on, i understand your safety point of view... i read your other post and i think you need to give yourself more credit when you say you have only 2 years of experience. after the first time jitters go away i feel its all about learning your bike... you can't tell me you dont know your limits or your bikes. really all i'm trying to say is rider courses help a lot and its not the motor size but how you are going to use the power. if your going to be a speed freak then yes you do need to start small. but, i think its easyer to just get a bike you can grow with, that will do what you want. like i said if i could go back and just buy the bike i have now first i would. i really have NO intentions of getting a 1000 and this bike will stay around for a long while. a long term investment you could say.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Start with 'Motorcycle Roadcraft' That's the rider manual for UK motorcycle police.

I don't believe in the concept of a 'real biker'. I'm an engineer. father, musician, photgrapher, sailor, etc., who also rides bikes.

My personal definition of a skilled and experienced road motorcyclist is someone capable of passing an IAM or similar test - I don't think you have anything of that standard - coupled with three years and 30K miles - the last year and 10K miles on a large capacity bike. In the EU most under 21s will have had about three years before their licence allows them to ride anything over 33 bhp, and probably a year before they even get a licence for a 250.

It's surprising how many people who do meet that spec then choose small or mid-capacity bikes.

Riding hard is relative. Riding hard on street includes knowing how hard is too hard and when not to ride hard. It's knowing how to cut through traffic, how to deal with wet, slippery, occasionally icy roads and not hitting anything on the way.Trying to develop that sort of street and traffic skill on a 600 or 650 tends to reduce life expectancy. If I want a relaxed ride I can ride the car with the stereo and air con. I ride to get from A to B in the shortest possible time. And to get there. But even if you're happy with a relaxed easy ride there will times when circumstances test your skill to its limits. Then it's good to have those limits set as high as you're capable of raising them.

Rob

Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

although i dont fully agree with the way people are being told they have to buy 250 to learn on, i understand your safety point of view... i read your other post and i think you need to give yourself more credit when you say you have only 2 years of experience. after the first time jitters go away i feel its all about learning your bike... you can't tell me you dont know your limits or your bikes. really all i'm trying to say is rider courses help a lot and its not the motor size but how you are going to use the power. if your going to be a speed freak then yes you do need to start small. but, i think its easyer to just get a bike you can grow with, that will do what you want. like i said if i could go back and just buy the bike i have now first i would. i really have NO intentions of getting a 1000 and this bike will stay around for a long while. a long term investment you could say.
I have a good idea of what the bike is capable of, but 90% of my riding consists of commuting to and from work. I am the type of person that even when I get out to "just ride" I get along better with the cruiser's, because I tend to go the speed limit. I bought my bike with the idea that I was going to keep it for along time and I have no regrets with my choice so far, because it can cruise around town and run through the twisties with ease.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by dsm3383
It's all about what you really want the bike for, either to go fast or to just enjoy riding. Answer that then you will know which bike to get.
In my opinion, sometimes going fast makes the ride enjoyable on its own.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jperkins812
I have a good idea of what the bike is capable of, but 90% of my riding consists of commuting to and from work. I am the type of person that even when I get out to "just ride" I get along better with the cruiser's, because I tend to go the speed limit. I bought my bike with the idea that I was going to keep it for along time and I have no regrets with my choice so far, because it can cruise around town and run through the twisties with ease.
same here - I don't see the point in buying anything faster than a 600cc sportbike for street use, but don't fault people that do. I get along with all riders of reasonable mental maturity.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Ive owned motorcycles since I was 12 years old. Dirt bikes, on/off road bikes, street bikes, sport bikes. Now, my only bike is an 09 KLX250s, and I really like it. One doesn't require a bunch of horsepower to really enjoy a bike. If I were going to buy a street bike, I would seriously consider a 650r. The bike is so simple (in a good way), purely functional, good looking, and handles very well (from a couple of guys I've spoken with. The price is high, but then again, so was my KLX250s, and the price of everything is high. I would have a Kaw 650r in my garage, along with an 08 hayabusa, GSXR750, and my present KLX250s. It wouldn't be a black 650r, it would be red! I think this guy made a great choice, just as I did with my 250. I remember years ago when I owned a Honda XL600, wow, I loved that bike too. It was so basic, so simple.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM

I would have to say the 650 all the way