First sport bike ninja 650r...Good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Default First sport bike ninja 650r...Good choice?

I just bought a suzuki DR650SE 2009. I used to ride dirt bikes so I thought it was a good purchase. I'm selling it and I only have about 130 miles on it. Now I want a street bike. The 650r is in my price range, but that aside is it a good choice for my first sports bike? Any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Good question. You are selling a new bike for another new bike. But yet you have not experience? on either one? Just take your time. Get comfy with your DR and know yourself.
The 650 is just a street bike. Another toy to be learned and setup for you. No need in just jumping into another "what if" ride. Welcome to KF

Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

its a good bike but if you dont have street experience and already own one bike stick with it till youre ready. unless theres somethign about the DR that you cant stand.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Hey thanks for the feed back guys. I rode dirt bikes for years, as for experience on the road yes I don't have very much, but I know how to ride. I realized that I will be riding on the road a 99% of the time, and I want something that will get more respect on the road and be more fun. I guess you guys are right I should get some experience on this bike first, but the 09 ninja 650r looks awesome.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

granted it does look awesome, but imagine if everyone bought the brand new model for the looks every year. if you did sell the DR you would have to take a giant loss because of all teh dealer fees and stuff that you had to pay. in the long run its your choice and the 650 is a good bike.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

If it's your first street bike, get a 250. You'll learn more, learn it better, and learn it faster. On a 650 you have to be too carefull with the throttle too much of the time.

Dirt bike experience is of less value on the road than dirt riders insist. It helps on poor surfaces and in poor weather. I've no axe to grind here - I started on dirt bikes, but I've got a lot of experience teaching people how to ride street.

Buy an older 250 and keep it for a year. Do an MSF course.

Rob

Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have been riding dirt bikes for years you should have no problems riding on the street. I would say if you can sell the other bike and get a new 650 then do it. I'm sure you'll like it. Just can't ride it off road LOL.
As for getting a 250 you'll get tired of it after a few months and want somethig bigger so i would say stay 600cc or smaller is a good choice to start off with. Just take it easy intill you get use to the bike and riding on the street. maybe look into a motorcyle saftey class to get ready for the street.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

If you tire of a 250 it's because you can't ride it properly.

Don't maybe look into a motorcycle safety class. Do one.

And don't take advice from people with very limited experience of teaching people how to ride.

Rob

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Well now I'm confused, about half of people tell me I will get bored of the 250 which I think I will since they are under powered, and the other half say I should get a 250. I think I'm going for the 650r if I can sell my bike. I will grow into it the 650r.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy
Well now I'm confused, about half of people tell me I will get bored of the 250 which I think I will since they are under powered, and the other half say I should get a 250. I think I'm going for the 650r if I can sell my bike. I will grow into it the 650r.
I thought the same thing, so I picked up my 09' 650 last Friday. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: First sport bike ninja 650r...Good choice?