Considering buying 2006 Ninja 650R - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Default Considering buying 2006 Ninja 650R - thoughts?

I am looking to purchase a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R with ~8.5k miles on it for $3000

I have a few questions and would like to open a discussion about this before I buy to see if it's a good idea.

My questions are:

- Is 3,000 good for this bike with those kind of miles on it?
- What types of common issues (if any) does this bike run into (considering it's in Florida as well?)
--Of those kinds of issues, what does it usually entail to resolve them?
- Are there any tell tale signs I could look for with this specific model bike that would make me run?

I took it for a test ride and it seemed fine, granted I didn't get up on it hard at all. I was busy concentrating and getting used to not being on my own motorcycle (which is a 1983 Suzuki GS450L)

Any tips, pointers, warnings, comments, or concerns are appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

The price is ok if you are happy with the ride. I tend to wheel and deal abit though.

I do not know of any with that decent of a mileage out there for a comparison.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Hey! thanks for the reply

Yeah the person selling it is a friend, and they bought it for $2900, she decided riding (controlling the wheel vs being a passenger) isn't her thing and she wants to get out from under it. She spent $2900 + ~$400 tax, tag, and title.

I am friends with her and her boyfriend and they assure me nothing is wrong with it and I believe after riding it today they said it's just had its oil changed and brake fluid changed and bled.

So what, in general, do these bikes have as issues? If any? Or are they pretty sound bikes unless misused?

This one has been dropped on its side, when not moving, by her (the current owner), but damage isn't very visible. I feel bad knowing her situation to ask lower than what she paid but considering its condition I believe it's necessary.

Considering all that, what would you say its value is and is a fair offer to a friend that just wants to get rid of it?

Not take this thread off track, I'm really looking to see:
a) if these bikes have any common issues (be it around the miles it's at now, or in the near future as well)
b) if this is a good price for the bike considering the condition I've mentioned it's in.

Thanks!

Last edited by incarceration; 10-27-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, my '07 ex 250 with almost that mileage was $1100, the '05 ex500 was $2k with low miles(less than 3000 miles I think it was), so my first thought would be $2200 and work from there. My '05 6RR was $2k and was dropped at the track with light cosmetic and rearset damage. Just tossing out my thoughts of course.

If I recall correctly, the 650 is similar to the 250 engine design and not of the 500 design and has proved reliable. I love my EX500 though for everyday riding and the rare occasion of a fill in track day ride.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I know a dude that rode the 650 versys (same Engine and shock design) he really liked the bike, and from the time i rode it, i found the engine to be very Torque, it really liked to bring up the front wheel when shifting fast.

My experience with Kawasaki is great is great and really trust the engine, my only concern with a bike with these little miles from 2006 and from Florida, then it means to me that is was used to so short rides and if the original owner was a like most south Florida riders, the he/she probably rode it is hard in between the stop lights. but then again if you can lower the price from 3k to about 25-2800, it sounds like a good deal

Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 PM

So $3000 is far too much? Even considering different areas? I'm in Tallahassee, mopeds and motorcycles, especially sport bikes, are a big thing here. I would be the 3rd owner, counting the person I'd be buying it from that never road it except to drop it once when not moving, causing light to moderate fairing damage.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I pretty much agree with these guys^. We're talking about a 650;, not exactly a ZX10. The market should be a little softer for this level of performance (no offense) and priced accordingly. It's 7 years old, regardless of condition. The drop of the bike equals a drop of the price. I'd probably be willing to go 2500-2750. You're looking at roughly 250-500 bucks for plastic and mirrors (OE). I suspect at 8K miles, the tires are getting thin, (2nd set?), and brake pads are, too. Make them an offer and let them chew on it.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by incarceration
So $3000 is far too much? Even considering different areas? I'm in Tallahassee, mopeds and motorcycles, especially sport bikes, are a big thing here. I would be the 3rd owner, counting the person I'd be buying it from that never road it except to drop it once when not moving, causing light to moderate fairing damage.
just show up with 2500 cash. that way after tax and registration you are looking at about +200 = 2700 for that amount it would be a good deal.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 AM

so from what i got, the brake fluid had been changed, the oil and oil filter had been changed, but not the pads. the front tire was changed, still supposedly has the rubber excess on the sides, but that's from the owner prior to who has it now.

as far as the drop, it was onto the driver, causing a scuff where the rider's knee would be if their feet were on the pegs

Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 AM

Quick Reply: Considering buying 2006 Ninja 650R - thoughts?