won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Default won't stay running

I was totally psyched to go for a ride yesterday, maybe take some back roads out to my sister's place for a surprise visit. I break out the jumper cables and jump the bike from the taurus (the taurus wasn't running -- thanks for the heads up on that)

I get on the bike, it stalls. I hook the cables back up and start it again. I get on, it stalls. One more try, I get on and it stays running. sweet! I move my foot on the peg and it dies. So frustrating. How can I stand and watch it idle fine for a few minutes only to have it die as soon as I get on? I checked the tank, it has plenty of gas. The first time i tried to start it the solenoid clicked (so i jumped it). by the last time I tried to jump it i tried the start button w/o the cables and the solenoid wouldn't even click and the oil pressure light was barely on.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: won't stay running

Take your alternator toan auto parts storeand have it tested, sounds like when you hook up the battery it gives it a little charge but only runs until the battery drains, the alternator that charges the battery isnt doing its job. After changing it, that should fix the dead battery problem too. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: It might be a generator on the 500, Dunno if they test those.
If you want to test it yourself just get a good charge on the battery, start the bike then disconnect the battery, if it dies, replace the generator. Disclaimer: I have never tried this on a motorcycle, it shouldnt be any different than a car tho. If anyone elseknows better,feel free to shut me up.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I hope I'm wrong.
I dont' believe the mighty 500 has an alternator. Instead it has a regulator/rectifier, as most modern motorcycles have. If you surpass a certain amperage (or if you made the mistake of buying a Honda V-configured engine), they become regulator/rectifryers.
I haven't looked at the manual yet to confirm this, so I hope I'm wrong. The replacement part is probably around 40-$50.
Hooking your system to more volts or amps than it can stand will usually just cook a fuse. But getting a jump from a car directly to your battery AND the whole system?
I hope I'm wrong. Stand by...

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

You can tell I'm still trying to get my hands on my first ride, I would be happy to soak up any info you have on the regulator/rectifier, gotta learn from the best ya know. Bikes are a whole new animal for me so I'm still playing off car knowledge.

I looked up the part online and I thought they called it a generator, but I may be wrong.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 PM

I looked online as well.... the "Generator" refers to the combination of the stator (coil, with magnets around it - like the car's alternator) and the voltage regulator. Looks like I might actually need to get a meter so I can start checking things. In the meantime I'm going to swipe my folks' battery charger while they're out of town and see if I can at least get it to turn over with a solid charge on the battery.

my folks have no idea i have a bike, and I don't want them to know for at least a year, this way I can take the 16hr course and get proficient at riding so they won't freak out too much. Buying a house a few hundred feet from your parents has its advantages and its disadvantages...
In any case, I will let you fellas know what I find.

Thanks.
-Joe

Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Oh, I checked out some prices in the event that either the stator or regulator are shot...

let's hope I need a new battery or something. Could be, too, that I did not get the RPM's up enough to get a charge on the battery which is why it was completely dead after the bike ran for a few minutes.

and I'm certain I need a kick in the head for this, but which position (forward or back) on the lever engages the choke? I was under the impression that back = engaged.

Thanks.
-Joe

21003 Stator 1 $254.44

21050 Flywheel 1 $268.82

21066 Regulator-Voltage 1 $112.10

Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM

How about a new battery? Get a multi meter and test the battery.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

The battery is maybe just to low for a quick charge with a car...Try to charge your battery with a charger all night. I did that with the battery of my bike and it work like new now when I try withthe car at first it was doing the same thing as your.

And don't believe a dealer when you bring them your battery they don't check the liquid level and after a supposed one night on the charge they will tell you that the battery is bad...or maybe you have better dealer they I have around here!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 PM

I went to Napa. They told me the battery had no charge and no dead cells. I'm used to maintenance free batteries, and apparently so was the previous owner, the battery was practially bone dry!

so I topped off all the cells and threw it on a charger for a couple hours, starting problem solved!

However, I figured out why the bike would die when I sat down... both of the leads to the battery do not tighten down properly, they are very very loose. My guess is someone tightened them too much or cross threaded them and now the holes on the battery terminals are rounded out.

Both easy (and cheap)fixes though.

Thanks for your help everyone!

-Joe

Old 05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joeyv69ragtop

I looked online as well.... the "Generator" refers to the combination of the stator (coil, with magnets around it - like the car's alternator) and the voltage regulator. Looks like I might actually need to get a meter so I can start checking things. In the meantime I'm going to swipe my folks' battery charger while they're out of town and see if I can at least get it to turn over with a solid charge on the battery.

my folks have no idea i have a bike, and I don't want them to know for at least a year, this way I can take the 16hr course and get proficient at riding so they won't freak out too much. Buying a house a few hundred feet from your parents has its advantages and its disadvantages...
In any case, I will let you fellas know what I find.

Thanks.
-Joe
You think they are not going to find out? Now that's funny right there. Parents have a 6th sense. Good luck on that one.[8D]

Quick Reply: won't stay running