View Poll Results: A poll
35.71%
14.29%
28.57%
93 >
21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

what kind of gas do you put in your 500?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default what kind of gas do you put in your 500?

I know I have read it in my manual and even think saw something on it here....

but, what do you put in your 500? and why???

I have filled it up with 91, 89 and 87 before, but a friend of mine told me I should just put the regular 87 and that will work just fine with the bike........... anyone........

Old 11-11-2006, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: what kind of gas do you put in your 500?

Unless your bike specifically calls for 91, go for what the manual says. (They don't tell you to stick with 87 because they don't want you to have too much power.) You will have a worse performing engine with high carbon build up from the unburnt fuel when you use a higher octane than recommended. Of course if you have pre-detonation problems, do use a higher octane.

Sorry I don't have a 500, but I wanted to put in my .02

Old 11-11-2006, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

everyones 2cents is always appriciated!!! that's why we're here.... thanks!

Old 11-12-2006, 08:24 AM

Chevron, 87 only, put in 91 one time and then found out with our compression its not helping anything

Old 11-13-2006, 04:45 AM

I always thought that the higher the octane rating of a petro or gas, the better for the life of your engine (I guess, that's why the higher the octane rating, the more expensive it is.)

Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

The only thing octane does to gas is make it burn slower. For a high performance engine, the slow burn rate helps it not to ping, or pre-detonate under the cylinder's high compression, and aggressive ignition timing.

It will not extend the life of your engine in any way.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nasfaw

I always thought that the higher the octane rating of a petro or gas, the better for the life of your engine (I guess, that's why the higher the octane rating, the more expensive it is.)

I do find better gas mileage with higher octane on my car. Haven't really checked on my bike (i just run super since the ~ dollar extra per fill up is pretty insignificant)

I did find that after installing the sarachus, the bike had a flat/dead spot and hesitated between 4k-6k RPMs. I put super in and it ran better (i'm pretty sure tweaking the air/fuel mixture valve on the carb would've resolved this too)

I run 93 on both my bikes and my car...figured it can't hurt.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

When i first got my bike i was only putting in premium, Then for sh*ts and giggles i put in regular, boy did it make a big differnce but nto right away after about 3 or 4 fill ups with reg, i noticed it dint have as much power and it was boggin out. Swtiched back to the premium havnt ahd a problem sence well besides whats wrong with the bike now, SOB, pisses me off just thinking about it, sorry for the rant

Old 11-13-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Here in spain you can only find two kinds of gas. 95 or 98. The level of octane is important to the engine compression. the higher octane the bigger compresion you can use. the octane is the level of compression the gas can assume without auto-ignition.

I use 98 not because the octane, I could also use 95, but the 98 gas has better aditives that cares your engine and keeps it cleaner.

BR

Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pangerang

ORIGINAL: nasfaw

I do find better gas mileage with higher octane on my car. Haven't really checked on my bike (i just run super since the ~ dollar extra per fill up is pretty insignificant)

I did find that after installing the sarachus, the bike had a flat/dead spot and hesitated between 4k-6k RPMs. I put super in and it ran better (i'm pretty sure tweaking the air/fuel mixture valve on the carb would've resolved this too)

I run 93 on both my bikes and my car...figured it can't hurt.
like fdoangulo said the premium stuff has more cleaners and additives to make it run better, its usually the first recomendation from a dealer or shop that isnt trying to screw you. you can still run the cheap stuff but a good tank or two every once in a while will clean the crap out.

Quick Reply: what kind of gas do you put in your 500?