Turning off engine at stoplights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Turning off engine at stoplights

ORIGINAL: aszrael1266

stupid question. are the 500 air cooled? If not then I would think it should be fine. I live in the central valley of CA. It gets really hot here. The hotest I have rode it was 95-98 out side. My fan on my 04 636 would always come on and my temps wouldn't go any higher then 225. I did drain my coolent and replaced it with I.C.E. that stuff works pretty good. I would sugest at least adding some water wetter to your coolent.
hahaha, Air cooled rides do not need a fan.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

I normally just rely on the thermostat to kick the fan on/off. True, ICE and Water Wetter are available and seem to do a good job. I do not turn the ride off at any time at a light.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Just make sure that when you're working on an air cooled bike, you replace the lower radiator hose relatively often!

Vic

Old 07-26-2007, 05:27 PM

What a coincidence. I read this thread 2 days ago and at the time I thought, hmm, I live in Dallas, Texas and haven't had this problem yet ('06 EX500R).Then THE NEXT DAY Iwent for a 40 minute highway ride (65-70mph), and while subsequently tooling around on city streets I happened to have to wait for a train to go by for about 10 minutes. All of a sudden, green liquid is gushing out on the street from under of my bike. DOH. I look at the temp gauge and it's in the RED. I shut down, pushed her off the road, and cooled down for about 5 minutes, then I drove a block and a half to a gas station to look for some antifreeze. I looked in the reservoir and found the reserve tank still has plenty of liquid, so since I was late for an appointment I bought some water (just in case) and took off. The temperature immediately showed as normal and stayed there the rest of the day. I guess at this point I need to see if I need to add some more liquid...

What I want to know is... how did you fellows know this was about to happen to me!? [sm=icon_rock.gif]Ed

Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Umm I know of at leas 1 air cooled w fan

Buells Uly' needs a fan to cool the rear cylinder. Hopefully Buells new water cooled engine will find it's way into the Ulysses

Old 07-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Umm I know of at leas 1 air cooled w fan

True that rear cylinder needs more help in cooling for sure on the air cooled V.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Fizzit:
If the system was at a normal temperature when you drive, it's only that the fan doesn't go on when you stop to long...and the system overheat. Check:
-Look at the connection of your fan...
-Verify the fuse in the junction box under the seat...
-Disconnect the fan at the thermoswitch and test if the fan start by using a jumper there...if the fan doesn't work your problem is maybe your thermoswitch...

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: mel0526

Fizzit:
If the system was at a normal temperature when you drive, it's only that the fan doesn't go on when you stop to long...and the system overheat. ...
I've said it before. You guys Rock. You were right, my fan was not functioning. I didn't know it had a fan. I got it fixed (not sure what was wrong). I have Never heard the fan before after shutting down the bike, hehe. I'm sure it'snever worked since I bought it 6 weeks ago.

Thanks Mel !

Old 08-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I didn't know it had a fan. I got it fixed
hahaha, congrats on the fix.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

btw...i wouldnt turn off my bike at a light....god forbid you hear screeching tires behind you...im always in gear...ready to go....i never shut my bike off...oh hell no...but thats just me

Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

I have built engines for years. I have worked with mechanics apon mechanics, yes idling is bad for gas mileage. But you dont need to stop the engine everytime you stop at a red light. Most anymechanic will tell you that in any gas or diesel engine, 90% of the wear on the engine comes from starting the engine and shutting it down. If you do this as much as you are saying then you are just prematurely wearing the engine.

Quick Reply: Turning off engine at stoplights