strong enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Default strong enough?

Hi, new to forum. Will be buying a new bike soon and have a few questions about the ninja 500.
I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs, will this bike get me down the road and even get my adrenalin running. I'm looking
at the 500 for the price and thinking it's just fast enough to keep me from getting into trouble as far as the law goes.
I'll be using it to commute and also for pleasure riding. I lined the 500 up beside the ninja 1000 at my dealer and they
looked very close in length and wheel base. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JB

Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Default RE: strong enough?

the 500 is pretty strong and sure it will get you adrenalin pumping not a bad bike

Old 10-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure that it will be just right for you! The guy I bought mine from was probably the same weight (or around there) but I don't think he was as tall. He had no problems with the bike. I think you would be happy with it, they are a blast!

Old 10-03-2005, 06:53 PM

My hubby sometimes takes off on mine. He is 6'2' and 270. He does just fine. He gives my bike a lot of compliments. Hell he has run off on plenty of folks on the little EX.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 PM

Thanks,
For the responses, My theory is that if I get the 500r then I'll be less likely to act the fool. I'm trying to decide when to get it because I won't be able to ride it much in the dead of winter.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:23 PM

I see that you live in KY. you have very similiar weather to us here in IN, we rode well into November last year, but I do hear this year is gonna be a bad winter. I think the EX will be fine for you. Good luck. Make sure you put up some pics in th gallery when you get it.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 AM

Where abouts in KY you live in? I live in Indy and am only a short trip to louisville. The season is still in, so if ya get PM me and I'll come riding with ya.

You haven't seen me on this forum because I have a zx-6r and post on that site,but have no quams as long as it has two wheels...

Old 10-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: johntammi

Thanks,
For the responses, My theory is that if I get the 500r then I'll be less likely to act the fool. I'm trying to decide when to get it because I won't be able to ride it much in the dead of winter.
If you are buying used, you should buy around this time of year, I bought mine in December last year and got a wicked deal on it (managed to knock a couple hundred bucks of his asking price). If you are buying new, you might get a better deal this time of year, but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck and definately post some pics when you get it!

Old 10-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Yak

I bought a '05 500R back in June, it's a first bike purchase for me and it has over 4000km(2500miles) as of
now. I'm 6ft 195lbs and the bike has no problem moving me around, I doubt it would have a problem carrying 45 extra pounds. But, there are some shortcomings( for me anyway)- mainly the engine is happiest in the upper rev range, don't expect any good amount of torque for your daily commute, it's a bit lethargic for stop and go traffic unless you ring it. Vibrations from the twin cylinders can be annoying when idling for some period and the biggest problem for me is that there's no gas gauge. Other than that, the bike is great fun on country roads with a nice power spike at 8K rpm, light weight makes it easy to maneuver and the ride is supple. I would buy the bike again and don't regret my purchase but if there was a 650R sitting at the dealership back in June I'd be riding that.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:55 AM

I agree that the 500 will be enough for you. Although after a few seasons you might or might not want to upgrade (just keep that in mind). It all depends on the rider.

I also agree that the best time to buy a bike is in the off season. I got an awesome deal on my 500. I bought it in mid January and it is a 2005, had 398 miles, never been laid over, and it only cost me $3800. Definitely look for the deals now.

Quick Reply: strong enough?