smell of burn. I scared now.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Default smell of burn. I scared now.

holy **** yall. I just checked my oil gauge and its no where in the middle. I don't see any oil at all. All i see is the black line. The last time i started the bike it smelled like something burn. Now I think its because I have extremly low oil. Can anyone tell me what can happen to my bike? Any long term or short term damage? I want to get this fixed so i can have a safe ride period.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: smell of burn. I scared now.

It's hard to say. did you put oil in it and run the bike? If so, does it sound any different? You could have ruined a rod or main bearing, but you would probably get a knocking sound. It might have been the clutch that was producing a burning smell.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Generally if you put more oil in and it runs the same with no strange noises then you dodged the bullet. It might take a few years off the life of the motor but if nothing is wrong immediately then you didnt do any major damage. One last thing you might check is the oil pressure, I dont know if it has a gauge or not but if it does and the pressure is substantially lower than usual you may have burned up a bearing. Other than that, keep an eye on your oil level for a while to make sure its not leaking and run it like nothing happened.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 AM

i havn't put oil yet but i'm going to put it on tomarrow. The burning smell is only faint and only noticeable when it starts up. when riding, theres no odor. I only thing i feel thats different is that when i ride to higher gear, it feels a little more rocky, not a huge shacking. Its only noticeable if you pay attention to it.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:34 AM

i forgot to say, there really is not strange bumping or cracking noise, but my riding sounds a little louder then i notice. Not loud like a muzzy exhaust but only noticeable again if i pay attention to it.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:34 AM

okay.......Im going to be the ******* then, how did you not notice? There is a sight gauge on the bike? Put the bike on the center stand or lean it a little and look at it!!!!! Do it everytime you get gas........you may have gotten really lucky, clutches are a pain in the *** for real.......good luck with the oil, but seriously just check it-I think the manual says to check it everytime before you ride, I realize thats a bit unrealistic but once a week should be enough, the sight glass is literally the last top off of the oil so even if it isnt showing every time you might be okay.........sorry for being an ******* but look at the sight glass, it is what it was designed for. John

Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Now that you are looking to find something wrong with it your gonna notice things. If it still runs and doesnt sound like its going to fall apart (you WILL know it when you hear it, so you dont have to look for these sounds) then the bike is ok. Few lessons are learned without consequences, you got lucky, learn from it.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:43 PM

no offense taken here. Yes. it was stupid of me not to check before. Well now i have more experience. I'm going to change to oil right now and report back in a few hours.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 AM

I found out where the smoke was comming from when i removed the lower fairing. It was comming from the exhaust line. What is causing it to smoke from there? Could it be that someone put something in my pipe? I borrowed a picture from someone on this forum just to show you where its comming from.

please see the picture

how do i take out the exhaust line and pipe to check if something was shoved in there?

Old 10-07-2006, 04:42 AM

i just want to be really specific where the smoke is comming from. Where the arrow in the picture is pointed, thats where the smoke is comming from. Its not comming from the top or the end. thanks in advance. RSD

Quick Reply: smell of burn. I scared now.